• April 29, 2024, 05:02:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Are Zero Motorcycles Crash Prone Due to Lack of Traction Control?  (Read 4740 times)

Jarrett

• View Profile
Re: Are Zero Motorcycles Crash Prone Due to Lack of Traction Control?
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »

I have a '14 Street Triple and it's going up for sale soon since I got the FX. My FX feels faster below 60mph.
Oh STREET triple, I was reading SPEED triple for some reason.  I guess because I'm looking at the Speed Triple now.  It has a sub 3 second 0-60 time.  Maybe too much for just having fun on.  Going to test ride today, might test ride the Street Triple as well.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 06:15:05 AM »

I went and rode the Street Triple RS, Speed Twin and Speed Triple S today. 

I decided to trade my DSR in on a 2019 Speed Triple RS.  Hoping to make the swap Saturday.

Also, I did ride the SR/F for a third time today.  I really like that bike, it pulls so hard.  It's right there with the Speed Triple.

I just wish it would go more than 80 miles a charge.  Once they get them up to 250 (real) miles a charge, I'm buying back in.

Til then, my FX will be my Zero.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »

I went and rode the Street Triple RS, Speed Twin and Speed Triple S today. 

I decided to trade my DSR in on a 2019 Speed Triple RS.  Hoping to make the swap Saturday.

Also, I did ride the SR/F for a third time today.  I really like that bike, it pulls so hard.  It's right there with the Speed Triple.

I just wish it would go more than 80 miles a charge.  Once they get them up to 250 (real) miles a charge, I'm buying back in.

Til then, my FX will be my Zero.

Didn't you just get the 2019 dsr?

Bill822

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »

I have a '14 Speed Triple R I bought NOS a couple years ago. It is a phenomenal bike. I have toured quite a bit on it using SW Motech hard mount soft bags. I also have an SR/F. The SR/F is absolutely quicker and handles better. They are totally different bikes though, despite similar weight and dimensions. At a recent tracK day on my S3 an SR/F absolutely destroyed me, left me like I was standing still. Each bike has its own character, its own function. If you can only afford one bike, and these two are not in the same price range, the S3 might be the better choice if you plan to tour. If you want a hot hooligan though, the SR/F or waiting for the new Ducati Streetfighter V4 would be the better choice.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2019, 04:58:31 PM »

I have a '14 Speed Triple R I bought NOS a couple years ago. It is a phenomenal bike. I have toured quite a bit on it using SW Motech hard mount soft bags. I also have an SR/F. The SR/F is absolutely quicker and handles better. They are totally different bikes though, despite similar weight and dimensions. At a recent tracK day on my S3 an SR/F absolutely destroyed me, left me like I was standing still. Each bike has its own character, its own function. If you can only afford one bike, and these two are not in the same price range, the S3 might be the better choice if you plan to tour. If you want a hot hooligan though, the SR/F or waiting for the new Ducati Streetfighter V4 would be the better choice.

I haven't ridden the 2014 version of the Speed Triple, but I know it has a bit less hp and torque available than the 2019's do.  According to the tests, the 2019 Speed Triple is just under 3 secs to 60 mph, with everything I've seen from the SR/F so far, its a fuzz over 3 secs to 60.  Based on riding them both yesterday, they seemed to pretty close to each other in terms of performance, at least up to 110 or so when the Speed Triple would just keep on pulling away since the SR/F has a hard stop at 125 mph, when its fully charged.  It's just easier to get the accel from the SR/F with no gears, for sure.  Although, that quick shifter on the Speed Triple is pretty nice.

Not sure about the handling part.  I see test after test where the Speed Triple makes better lap times than higher hp bikes on the track, that seems to be its real strong point.  I'd love to see a test where the SR/F is tested in the same way at some point.  I would be surprised if it could beat a Speed Triple in that scenario.

The problem with the SR/F in that scenario is heat.  It might be quick on that first lap, but a couple of laps in when the heat has gotten to it, thermal protection kicks in and it's going to slow down.  Then as the battery drops, performance will be taken away as well.  Unlike an ICE bike that gets quicker with less gas, the SR/F will slow down as the charge wears out.  It won't perform at 22% the way it does at 92%.  I wonder how many sessions a SR/F would last at a track day, I'm guessing not many.  Not to mention, riding it that way I'm guessing the battery will last about 60 miles and done.  For example, that track day SR/F you're talking about got parked early due to low charge while the ICE bikes kept going all day and some rode home afterward.  Something to consider.

One day they are going to solve the battery problem and electric bikes are going to get where you can ride them hard like that all day and not go into thermal protection or peter out in 60 miles.  At that point, I'm all in.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:52:20 PM by Jarrett »

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2019, 05:12:53 PM »

I did.  It was a costly mistake for me. 

After really enjoying my FX, I thought more would be better and got the DSR.  Despite wanting to like the bike, I am just really underwhelmed with its performance.  I bought into the Zero marketing of "116 ft-lbs. of torque, more than liter bikes."  It's not near a liter bike in performance.  Even with what it is, its only at full performance for a few hard throttle pulls before thermal protection mode shuts it down.  The limited range and constant thermal protection modes have gotten to me. 

The dealer is letting me trade it back in thankfully.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2019, 08:56:59 PM »

I did.  It was a costly mistake for me. 

After really enjoying my FX, I thought more would be better and got the DSR.  Despite wanting to like the bike, I am just really underwhelmed with its performance.  I bought into the Zero marketing of "116 ft-lbs. of torque, more than liter bikes."  It's not near a liter bike in performance.  Even with what it is, its only at full performance for a few hard throttle pulls before thermal protection mode shuts it down.  The limited range and constant thermal protection modes have gotten to me. 

The dealer is letting me trade it back in thankfully.

That's too bad! I really enjoy mine. Since i didnt buy it to your with, it's perfect for my intended use, but it's the only Zero I've ever ridden, so can't compare it to the other models. Good luck with the Triumph.

Jarrett

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2019, 09:07:09 PM »

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

I'm keeping the FX and fully plan to buy the first Zero that will do 250 miles a charge.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2019, 01:55:09 AM »

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

I'm keeping the FX and fully plan to buy the first Zero that will do 250 miles a charge.

I'm waiting for one with L3 that charges faster than 1C. Until than, Zeros not getting anymore money from me.😊
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]