• April 28, 2024, 02:13:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Am I ruining my kickstand killswitch sensor?  (Read 1437 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Am I ruining my kickstand killswitch sensor?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 03:32:14 AM »

The first time I encountered a bar-mounted kill switch was on my 1971 Triumph Bonneville.  I discovered it after I tried kick starting the bike for 15 minutes with no result.   :'(  Since then I have touched that switch.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Curt

• View Profile
Re: engine kill switch [Re: Am I ruining my kickstand killswitch sensor?]
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 04:13:58 AM »

I've never used the throttle kill switch in my life and ive been riding for 40 years. Personal preference I guess.

Haha, I actually pushed old old Honda a mile to a shop, only to find out the only thing wrong with it was that the switch I'd forgotten existed was in the wrong position.

When I first started riding, some unknown prankster flipped my switch in a parking lot. Took me a while to figure it out.

I quit using the kill switch because of my WR450 dirt bike. If I stopped the engine that way, I'd forget about it and walk away while the headlight drained the battery.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »

I've updated https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Kickstand_Switch to link to this thread and the produce page and youtube video for the KTM bypass kit.

I'll figure out how to move that out to the aftermarket/hacks area later...
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Ramsay Snow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 01:32:11 AM »

Had the KTM bypass kit installed for most of the summer without issues, but now I have a failure to charge. Don't believe it's related (bad charger is my guess), but will have to investigate once i get back form vacation.

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 03:39:37 PM »

Not to beat a dead horse or show too much egg on my face but the one time I bypassed my kickstand in an emergency to get home, I immediately forgot it was down and rode 1/4 mile because "hey--the light is green, I'm good to go and I had already put it up twice before when testing everything". (I guess my muscle memory wasn't strong enough) When I made my first slight left turn the bike jumped and folded it up at about 25mph. It could have ended in a minor fall for me. It happens with bikes on the track (bypassed) occasionally and ends in very bad crashes. Look up a few youtube videos of it. I would tag any bike with a red flag next to the cut off switch while it is bypassed for offroading/other use, and remove when done. Not great for long term or street use with a bike that can take off this fast.
Pages: 1 [2]