• April 28, 2024, 03:15:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: '19 FXS Battery (s)  (Read 677 times)

Kafn8td

• View Profile
'19 FXS Battery (s)
« on: September 27, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »

Does a '19 FXS have one or two batteries?  I haven't taken the time to dig into it and look for myself, but am curious.  Thanks.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Re: '19 FXS Battery (s)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 08:01:35 PM »

There are options. 2 batteries in one pack, 2 removable batteries, 1 battery. I think the removable is a $500 option.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:14:04 PM »

Say10 is right, there are options.
Some listing will be for a 3.6 kWh for around $8400.  By default that is a removable battery option bike.  You could get one and then buy a second 3.6 unit to get a 7.2 total bike.
As a new bike this is a costlier way to do it but an older bike that's had the price drop could be a cheaper way to get the removable battery option.

Kafn8td

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 05:45:02 PM »

ok, thanks.  I probably have the single battery option. 

Moto7575

• City rider
  • Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 08:43:36 PM »

50 km range is really short - it means practically that you can go further than 20 kms aways if you want to be sure you can come back. Unless you are cash constrained, you might want to think again...
Zero XU2012-Zero S2013-Zero FXS2017-Zero SRF2022

Kafn8td

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 06:52:46 PM »

sorry, i meant 2 batteries in a single pack.  Has anyone pulled one out before?  I won't be storing my bike in the house and my garage isn't heated.  Zero recommended that with the Minnesota winters it would be best to pull it and store it inside.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 07:22:18 PM »

sorry, i meant 2 batteries in a single pack.  Has anyone pulled one out before?  I won't be storing my bike in the house and my garage isn't heated.  Zero recommended that with the Minnesota winters it would be best to pull it and store it inside.
Worth a trip to Aerostich and talk to them about riding with an FX in the Minnesota winters :-)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »

Kafn8td, just to be clear you can't pull the large 7.2 single unit.  To pull them you have to have the two battery option.
Also, do what Shadow said.  :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:17:54 PM by NEW2elec »

Kafn8td

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 07:46:58 PM »

Cold isn't the issue.  Keeping two wheels in a straight line is.  I ice race in the winter...on an ICE bike.  1,800 screws in the rear tire, 1,200 in the front.  Better traction than hot asphalt in August.  Aerostitch stuff is "ok", but overpriced in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:49:08 PM by Kafn8td »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »

Worth a trip to Aerostich and talk to them about riding with an FX in the Minnesota winters :-)

You don't even have to visit them as they wrote the book on the subject and may be still selling it in their on-line catalog.   ;)

The book is titled Zero Below Zero and was published in 2016.  Their employees rode a Zero FX every day during a Duluth, Minnesota, winter and even stored and charged it outside at night. The bike apparently came through with flying colors and had no mechanical, electrical or charging issues that I can recall.   :)  I do feel sorry for the poor suckers who had to ride it back and forth to work, though.  ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 08:12:28 PM »

Thanks for the assist it was really unclear why I mentioned Aerostich. I do have Aerostich gear and it did save my hide in a collision (but so would have most other protective gear on the market) however what I failed completely to mention was the Zero Below Zero story. You can make an educated guess about what may be the best preparation, and that's how it's done of course when the Motorcycle OEM never sees a snowy day at their headquarters :-)

Zero Below Zero is not just a stunt - last I'd heard of it there is at least an FX used everyday in all weather for the commute to/from Aerostich company. They're a friendly bunch and I suggest to visit because it would be interesting and likely useful to talk to people with the experience of Minnesota winters on the FX - not because I am selling you any product.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 08:45:51 PM »

And somewhere on this forum, probably around the winter of 2015, is a long thread regarding Aerostitch's FX winter adventure that covers much about their adventures with the FX, which led to the company writing and publishing their book - and Zero giving copies of the book away during their 10 anniversary party.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 09:25:09 PM »

Li ion doesn't like cold weather.  The Zero below Zero test worked for getting back and forth to work but it likely won't be good for racing IMO.

GA here so ice means the state shuts down for a day or so till it warms back up.  What happens if someone falls off their bike and gets run over with those spiked tires?  I've seen pictures of the races but again ice means stay inside.  :)

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »

I've pulled the batteries out when I had the modular.  It's not something I'd do on a daily basis just because of the heft.  It only takes a minute or two, so it would be fine to do when putting up for the season.  Others are correct, the single 7.2 kWh pack is not designed to be removed. 

Do you have an attached garage?  Even if it's not heated, it still shouldn't be as bitterly cold as a detached garage.  There's some discussion on the boards about covering the bike and using some heater strips to keep the battery above freezing.  I think there's a lesser risk storing the battery at cold temperatures versus charging at very cold temperatures.  I'd defer to battery chemistry experts to comment on how big of a deal this is, but my inclination is that there would be minimal concern if you store your bike with an 80% charge and unplugged over the winter.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 12:04:42 AM »

If you can charge your bike outside, you could also rig up a heater.  There's some on the market designed to keep things from being frosty.

Personally, it rarely gets bitter cold here so I just snag one of my heating pads from the flower-shed and wrap it around what I need to have running.  It wouldn't be so difficult to wire an outlet to run a heater or (but not both) the charger for the bike.

Does the modular battery come with a handle?  You might get a handle or a dolly for it if you had to move it more frequently.  I have a handle and a dolly I use for moving PCs around from back when I did lan parties... And they make backpacks for kids or groceries that have wheels like a flight case which are pretty handy for stuff like this.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]