• April 29, 2024, 02:30:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F Tail Tidy / Fender Eliminator?  (Read 943 times)

Josh_Phillips

• View Profile
SR/F Tail Tidy / Fender Eliminator?
« on: October 21, 2019, 05:24:23 PM »

Just a quick question: Has anyone found a tail tidy that fits the SR/F?

TireFryer426

• View Profile
Re: SR/F Tail Tidy / Fender Eliminator?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 12:02:29 AM »

I think any of the generic ones fit.
Someone else made their own out of a sheet of aluminum. 
I just attached my license plate to the turn signal cover.

Technically its not proper display because the plate is at an angle and doesn't specifically have a white light on it, but I've been pulled over on it like that and the police didn't care.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 03:59:39 AM »

Recently a CA cop told me that motorcycle license plates must be at the very rear of the bike, past the rear tire.  I wonder how some stock Harley models get away with a license plate mounted at the left side of the bike, adjacent to the wheel axle?   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 04:24:04 AM »

Random chance?

There's nothing about horizontal orientation to the wheel, just you can't have the plate tilted.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle-code/veh-sect-5201.html
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

siai47

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 05:34:08 AM »

I own a Ducati that comes factory equipped with a license plate bracket low on the left side of the rear swingarm just behind the chain sprocket.  Never had a po-po issue with it. 
1979 Honda CBX
2009 Aprilia Cube 250 Scooter
2016 Victory Empulse TT
2019 Can-Am Spyder
2020 SR/F (retired)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 06:28:29 AM »

I own a Ducati that comes factory equipped with a license plate bracket low on the left side of the rear swingarm just behind the chain sprocket.  Never had a po-po issue with it.

Still, it is interesting to look at many of the latest motorcycle models that use a "possum scraper:" attached to the swing arm and extending over the rear of the tire that holds the license plate, the tail light and license plate illumination light.  I doubt that their customers have asked for these  changes in license plate location design, so I figure that some recent regulation in the U.S. or the E.U. has required this change.  Otherwise why would the manufacturers move their plate and tail light to the very rear of the motorcycle? ???  That has got to add an additional expense to each bike produced, compared to previous locations that were at the end of the chassis and above the rear tire instead of behind it.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

vinceherman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 05:12:55 PM »

why would the manufacturers move their plate and tail light

Styling.   

And it works for me.  I have always disliked the massive license holder construct hanging off the back of an otherwise clean outline.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »

why would the manufacturers move their plate and tail light

Styling.   

And it works for me.  I have always disliked the massive license holder construct hanging off the back of an otherwise clean outline.

And there you go.  I hate the looks of the tail-end plate holders.  I guess that is what keeps motorcycle designers busy.   ;)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 11:54:56 AM »

I like the look of the plates on the 'possum scrapers' as they were called earlier.  Lights there and nice and steady compared to the road, too, which I also like.

My spouse's bike has that and I've followed it around for a hundred miles or so now ^-^  (Honestly, even thought the rule is the lesser skilled rider in front, I prefer following her, since the Zero has some much get-up-and-go in the hills.)

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]