• April 28, 2024, 03:48:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Motorcyclist magazine reviews the SR/F  (Read 533 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Motorcyclist magazine reviews the SR/F
« on: November 27, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »

Motorcyclist magazine commutes on the SR/F and then reviews it in this video:
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/story/reviews/2020-zero-motorcycles-sr-f-review-mc-commute/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Motorcyclist magazine reviews the SR/F
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 08:31:49 PM »

I saw some inconsistencies in that review.  If the bike is charging at 6kW, it shouldn't take four hours to charge, more like two hours.  I think he was charging at only 3kW even if the bike truly did have the 6kW charger.  As I discovered myself, some charging stations are set up so that if two ports are used at once, each only gets HALF of the allotted 6kW for the station.

As far as the incandescent tail light bulbs, I have a SNEAKING suspicion that US regulations REQUIRE that they be old fashioned bulbs and NOT LED.  That's the only explanation I can come up with for why certain bikes in Europe all have LED lights all around, but when imported into the US they are replaced by those lollipops with incandescent bulbs instead.

The US was also the LAST country to legalize non-sealed beam halogen headlights too.  In a lot of areas, we're way behind the rest of the world.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 08:43:06 PM »

I can confirm my EU model has a LED taillight. The indicators are the only bulbs left (shame on you zero).

Charging at max speed with premium model is 5,7 kW from 0-95% in 2h and + 30 min for the other 5%. On 3kW that would be 4 hours. So looks like they just got the wrong numbers. While charging it displays speed on the bike's display.
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 08:43:29 PM »

A lot of technical and legal jargon, BUT it SPECIFICALLY states "incandescent" and "filament" so that might be the reason here.  NHTSA requires that motorcycle lighting conforms to SAE Standard J588.  Did a little digging and found the document below which apparently hasn't been updated in quite some time:

https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/005/sae.j588.2000.pdf
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 08:45:16 PM »

I can confirm my EU model has a LED taillight. The indicators are the only bulbs left (shame on you zero).

As I just noted, NOT Zero's fault.  They likely don't have the resources to build Euro and US specific models so they just build the one they can sell anywhere.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Starpower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 10:28:05 PM »

There are many bikes sold in the U.S. that are fully LED. Just read of the new R6 that falls into this category.
'13 Zero S 12.5 100% Solar charged, '14 BMW S1000R, '23 Admit Jet Armor, '21 Ninja 400, '21 WR250R

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 01:49:39 AM »

Turn signals are often incandescent because the timing circuit for LEDs is more difficult (and hence, adds some to the price).  I don't think the tail light is incandescent tho?

Saving money is usually the reason.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 02:25:37 AM »

This again. Every time a Zero engineer who knows the reason is asked about LEDs, it usually comes down to the price of item they can order at their (low) volume that will pass DOT+ECE+NHTSA. They want to ship with LEDs, too. They obviously did with the SR/F headlamp and with the tail units.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 02:34:01 AM »

Turn signals are often incandescent because the timing circuit for LEDs is more difficult (and hence, adds some to the price).  I don't think the tail light is incandescent tho?

Saving money is usually the reason.

-Crissa

But Crissa, using my XMAX as an example:  In other parts of the world, the turn signals ARE LEDs, but the models shipped to the US have incandescent bulbs mounted in "lollipops" so it's not a question of "it's cheaper" because they're already built with LEDs.  It probably costs Yamaha MORE to make them with incandescents just for the US.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 04:06:18 AM »

Yes, and LED turn signals as a system cost about $500.

If you can save it, why wouldn't you?
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 04:16:45 AM »

Yes, and LED turn signals as a system cost about $500.

If you can save it, why wouldn't you?

Then why bother installing them on the Euro models?  Why not just use the cheap incandescents everywhere??
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 04:50:36 AM »

Maybe there is Government paperwork to get the LED lights approved that Zero doesn't want to deal with?  ???  Personally, I have nothing against incandescent lights as replacement bulbs are cheap and can be purchased anywhere. 

As an example: My Royal Enfield Bullet uses an automotive sealed beam headlight. I recently bought a replacement for only $7 at the local auto accessory store. Unfortunately, after I bought the light I discovered that there was nothing wrong with the original headlight, its connections were just corroded.  ::)+
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 05:07:07 AM »

Then why bother installing them on the Euro models?  Why not just use the cheap incandescents everywhere??
European rules?  Euro rules require different lighting standards.  US standards are fairly lax:  We don't require them to be very bright or have block-out circuits like are required in the EU now... or even require amber at all.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 07:12:11 AM »

Maybe there is Government paperwork to get the LED lights approved that Zero doesn't want to deal with?  ???  Personally, I have nothing against incandescent lights as replacement bulbs are cheap and can be purchased anywhere. 

As an example: My Royal Enfield Bullet uses an automotive sealed beam headlight. I recently bought a replacement for only $7 at the local auto accessory store. Unfortunately, after I bought the light I discovered that there was nothing wrong with the original headlight, its connections were just corroded.  ::)+

There is a lot to be said about standardized automotive components.  Couple of times, far from home, I've had to replace fuses or bulbs on my K1200LT.  I was able to get what I needed at the first gas station or truck stop I came across.  Only problem is, in those places they only sell the H4 bulbs in pairs so I end up with an extra.  The extra bulb RARELY survives the trip to make it back home, though.  ONCE I managed to pad it correctly and bury it in my clothing so it wouldn't bounce around inside the bags.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]