• April 29, 2024, 10:44:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New tires, and a "Whoopsie!"  (Read 737 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
New tires, and a "Whoopsie!"
« on: November 16, 2019, 10:17:30 PM »

Well I've replaced the Diablo Rossos on my 2018 S with a set of the Dunlop GPR300s.  WOW, what a difference in handling!  It feels almost "too twitchy" now, but I'm sure I'll get used to the change.  But I think we must've screwed something up because now there isn't any power getting to the accessory socket up on the right hand side of the dash.  Any ideas?  It was working BEFORE we changed the tires because my electric vest was working fine.  You can guess my ride home was a bit chilly...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: New tires, and a "Whoopsie!"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 10:33:13 PM »

I'd say check the fuses.  Maybe see if the 12V does anything, your vest might have died.  Unless some wire was knocked loose during the install the tires shouldn't have anything to do with the 12V socket of course.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »

Nah, it's not the vest... I plugged in my USB charger and that wasn't getting power either.  Someone on Facebook suggested I might've disconnected something when removing the front tire and that's entirely possible.  Heading out to the garage to check that now.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 10:55:50 PM »

Well I'm about to go put my wheels back on after a tire change myself.  The garage is not as warm as it was last week.  Thanks Russian cold front. 
The only thing down there is the ABS wire.  I think it just blew a fuse. 
Good luck man.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 02:26:09 AM »

You called it.  Blown fuse.  Replaced it and all is well. :)
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 02:46:24 AM »

Whoo Hoo!  Glad it worked out.
I got my wheels on but my front non brake side wheel looks a little naked.  Is there a spacer or cover that you can see?  I know there is a gap but it just don't quite look right.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 03:47:56 AM »

Whoo Hoo!  Glad it worked out.
I got my wheels on but my front non brake side wheel looks a little naked.  Is there a spacer or cover that you can see?  I know there is a gap but it just don't quite look right.

I know there was a spacer on the rear wheel because it fell out as we were removing it.  I don't remember if there was one on the front...
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 05:31:17 AM »

No spacer on my bike. It is incorporated into the axle. A nice design, but it sure was tough to loosen the front axle for the first time when I changed my tire two weeks ago. I hit it with an impact driver for about 5 minutes and that still wouldn't loosen the axle.  :o Finally I got a 3' long breaker bar and jumped on it. That finally did the trick.  :) When reassembling the axle I coated the threads with anti-seize compound.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 08:42:46 AM »

Thanks guys, I had the little one from the rear wheel but it ended up being a 1 1/2 week project to get the tires on and I was wondering if I misplaced something in that time.

Richard, YES they LOVE lock tite at Zero.  I was using a multi size hex bit that had a 3/8 blank.  I loosened the pinch bolts and then tried to get the axial with my cheap little 3/8 ratchet  and it wouldn't move.  I got the long pipe arm from the jack to get some leverage and nothing.
Then I got mad and really put my shoulder into it and got a loud pop. 
Then I found out my ratchet now would click in both directions.  Had to buy another ratchet. 
I ended up using a big 24mm socket to the multi bit to turn the 17mm axial with a 1/2 inch breaker bar.
That got it.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »

Well, I've put a little over 100 miles on the new Dunlop GPR300s and so far, so good.  It's hard to do a comparison to the Diablo Rossos because they were so badly worn that my last impression of them isn't a valid comparison against a brand new set of tires.  Still, now that I've gotten over the "new tire feeling," they no longer feel "twitchy" to me.  In fact, the handling is just flat out wonderful.  I haven't had a chance to take a run on my favorite twisty roads, but impressions from highway on/off ramps is very favorable.  It also feels a whole lot better going through water, but considering the front tires I removed were damned near bald that shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Anyway, these tires were mounted at a little under 9,000 miles on the bike, so it'll be interesting to see how long they last compared to the Diablo Rossos I replaced.  Also, please note that these are RADIAL tires like the Diablo Rosso IIs they replace.  The Sport Demons (which were on my 2016 S) were bias ply.  This seems to support my observation that motorcycle tires act the OPPOSITE of automobile tires in that in automotive cases, radial tires far outlast bias ply.  In my observations, in motorcycles bias-ply tires outlast radials.  Stay tuned for how long the GPR300s last.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]