• April 29, 2024, 08:05:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Charging Etiquette  (Read 790 times)

GaryArt1

• Ride with Pride
    • View Profile
Charging Etiquette
« on: September 07, 2019, 07:20:51 AM »

So as someone new to EVs I was wondering about the proper etiquette at charging stations. I am not talking about people ICEing us but rather how we should handle a charging station.  So far I have only charged at my house and a Tesla charger in a mall.  I looked on plugshare and I seen chargers listed in public parks, private businesses, hotels and auto dealers. Now I can guess the public areas and paid chargepoint sites are open to all to just drive up and use but how do you handle ones in private companies (hotels, car dealers).  Do you stop in and ask if you can charge first?  Do you assume being it is in a "public" part of their property it is yours to use freely.  Do you offer them to pay for the electric? If so, how much?  And how about campground, do you ask if you can rent a site for a few hours to charge your bike?

Also, while charging is it expected you will be back the minute the charge is over otherwise the guy waiting is going to be pissed.  If I hook my SRF up to a charge and it texts me it is done while I am in the middle of a bite of my hamburger, am I expected to spit it out and throw a $20 at the waitress as I am running out the door?

I just want to not be one of those guys who all EVers hate because they make it worse for everyone. Any advice you can offer would be very helpful.
Currently own: 
2020 Blue Zero SR/F Premium
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

dvdt

• View Profile
Re: Charging Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:58:32 AM »

My experience with PlugShare specifically was primarily with private residences. I emailed the home owners well ahead (more than a day), explaining that I would like to charge for a few hours, and the power draw (1200W for my 2014S), and received affirmative responses. At one home, the owner preferred that I ring the door when I arrived to plug in (to a 120V receptacle along the side of the house) but didn't require any compensation. At a different home. At a different home, the home owner did ask for modest compensation to be left in the mailbox, but to not ring when I arrived.

The one commercial property PlugShare I phoned (a restaurant) actually informed me that the PlugShare listed didn't exist, which was indirectly helpful as I would have had a hard time making the return trip and chose instead to drive a car.

Generally positive outcomes, but my PlugShare experience is that confirming access in advance is important.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »

So as someone new to EVs I was wondering about the proper etiquette at charging stations. I am not talking about people ICEing us but rather how we should handle a charging station.  So far I have only charged at my house and a Tesla charger in a mall.  I looked on plugshare and I seen chargers listed in public parks, private businesses, hotels and auto dealers. Now I can guess the public areas and paid chargepoint sites are open to all to just drive up and use but how do you handle ones in private companies (hotels, car dealers). 
Looking at Plugshare is often  a waste of time if you do not also read the comments and check-ins. All that stuff is explained.

And when you find something that is inaccurate on Plugshare, or something that needs to be explained, also do your part and check-in to that site and explain, as I always do.

For an example, my check-in at the WalMart in Elk Grove, CA:

"Very flaky. Often credit cards get declined but later work. Many charging errors before getting it to work, I spent more time trying to get it to work than I did charging, I almost called a tow truck as I only had a few miles left. This time was on CCS charging on my Energica motorcycle. Charges fine with other fast DC chargers but not these at WalMart.”

And my check in at the Fernley, NV  WalMart:

"Worked perfectly with my Energica motorcycle, unlike all the chargers at the WalMart in Elk Grove, CA"

You can see both of these check-ins on PlugShare.

FWIW, IMO, the CCS chargers in Elk Grove are (were?) set up incorrectly.  I think they only recently went in to service there.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 11:55:32 AM »

Charging etiquette could also be largely region specific..
I know that in my area, where the amount of EV cars are getting quite high, and the amount of fast chargers are still very low, we've developed a sort of hate for the one hogging a station.
So.. The expectation here is that if all the chargers are busy, you should stop charging as soon as the battery reaches it's optimum peak. Usually around 80%.
I know there have been several complaints in various forums regarding this etiquette here.. but have also noticed this in regards to high-need areas.

This is of course in relation to DCFC stations. For Destination chargers this is different. we all know slow chargers means the owner won't come back for quite some time. Here it's more accepted. However... Recently cities with free slow charging areas have started to charge money for parking there to avvoid people parking there for 6+ hours.. So.. Try to take notice in the area you're parking. Respect others and even though you are usually the one with the smallest battery there, there might be others with a higher urgency than you.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 03:42:01 AM »

I wrote a small section on the unofficial manual just about EV charging etiquette:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/EV_Charging#Etiquette

I generally have a quick script for handling RV park, hotel, or other private charger owners:
"Hi, I'd like to use a plug for <an hour> and I'll use about <12kWh>."

I then pause (revealing no information until they ask) to let them take that in, and usually they quote a rate like $3 or $5, versus the $10 or more required for an EV car like a Tesla where you're paying for longer term parking in the space, really.

Electric motorcycles are just far out of peoples' expectations, so you have to nudge their brains politely to get them to realize they're not put out as much as an EV car would do.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 04:51:46 AM »

I usually keep it simple, as I've gotten really dumb looks.  "Is it okay if I charge my motorcycle?"  "Do you have a 15-amp or 20-amp outlet I could use?"

I've gotten a couple blank looks when I ask for more.

At the Soquel St garage one of the attendants came out and helped me plug in and find a working outlet!  They were pretty helpful.  And so I've gotten into the habit of not actually parking in the spots, so I'm not blocking the other chargers.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 05:39:13 AM »

My script is intended when you want to use a NEMA 14-50 plug or a Tesla destination charger. So, I find it helps to put a couple numbers out there and make sure they know I won't camp in the parking space.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 07:37:34 AM »

Ahh, yes, I suppose then it's important to say 'for an hour'.

^-^
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]