• April 26, 2024, 01:28:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero SR/F & Weiser LED Turn Signals  (Read 2867 times)

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
Zero SR/F & Weiser LED Turn Signals
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:32:05 PM »

Since I couldn't bear having technological reliques from last century - whatever proven they were or still are - on my fancy brand new SR/F from the future, I ordered and mounted two pairs of LED boards from Weiser (EXT-IND-G001) over the weekend.

Everything went nice and easy except that the main reason that brought me to choose this rather expensive brand (Weiser website: "Although they work on a lower current than standard bulbs, they will not show a bulb failure warning on the dash.") failed because after 5 to 30 seconds I exactly got those dreadful "Error 19: Blinker Bulb Out Fault" on my display along with hyper flashing.

I opened a support ticket and almost immediately got a response from Mark Atkins, the CEO of Weiser Technik:

<<<
Thank you for your email and we are sorry for the problem you are having with our LED turn signals on your bike.

Until recently, all Weiser LED lighting products worked with all Zero motorcycle models (and other manufacturers bikes) without causing a bulb failure code. With the introduction of the SR/F model, Zero's electronics changed the way that bulb failures were detected and we have recently started to get reports from customers of intermittent problems (hyper flashing & fault codes etc.) when our lights are installed on the SR/F. The error codes go away and come back sometimes with changes in external ambient temperature.

We have worked with Zero to determine the cause of this and are now in the process of modifying our products to eliminate the problem. In technical terms, our lights operate with a lower current than a standard 10W bulb at 13.5V so we are changing the ballast resistors on the product to allow the lights to draw a slightly higher current. This will solve the issue that you are seeing.  We tested prototypes of the change on a brand new Zero.
​
We are seriously committed to the development of Weiser products and our customer's satisfaction. We will make available the new production versions free of charge to all purchasers of our lights in the near future. 
We appreciate the issue has caused dissatisfaction but the problem was outside of our expectations. A solution has been found and is being implemented.
​
Please feel free to post this response and any Zero SR/F owner should email me at mark.atkins@weisertechnik.com with their details of the purchase and we will ship updated products as soon as it is available.

>>>

Being myself active in the engineering and tech industry for decades I can relate to his explanation and I understand it.

Since I was worry to use these fancy and expensive electronic boards without any form of waterproofing in the often rainy Swiss weather I have used some light adhesive to somehow seal the plastic lens to the black body. That apparently was not necessary.

<<<
The LED panels are conformally coated during manufacture to repel moisture and are guaranteed for 4 years. It is not necessary to use an adhesive on the lens to keep moisture out. You will note on the bottom edge of each housing there is a small hole in the black port of the housing; this is there to allow air into the housing which helps dissipate moisture after fogging in wet or damp weather.  We have never advised or heard of anyone using adhesives before to refit the lens after installation of our LED indicators. They are designed to be reliable without any modification to the housings.

The product you purchased is basically the same product fitted reliably to thousands of BMW KTM and other brands for over 12 years.  This is the first time we have encountered a motorcycle model with different electronic sensitivities at odds with the rest of the market place. It was not foreseen.

>>>

The outcome I draw from this incident is that Weiser (impersonated for me by its CEO) does care about having satisfied customers. Before ordering yours, you probably should verify with them first, or wait until the compliance with the SR/F becomes explicitly labeled on their website.
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125

heroto

• View Profile
Re: Zero SR/F & Weiser LED Turn Signals
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 03:02:35 AM »

Question about the installation: how much time for someone with modest technical skills? How idiot proof are the instructions?
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:05:01 AM by heroto »

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »

How much time for someone with modest technical skills? How idiot proof are the instructions?
A couple of minutes, maybe 15 in total to replace all four. Unlike what it replaces, the polarity of the current matters for LED, but if one gets it wrong it simply won't lit without causing any damage.

There is one guy who posted a video about the conversion he as done on his Zero DS.

and Weiser has its own YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-YCnK1c7h6bbHHao0S4M5g

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »

Is Weiser taking back the lights they're doing warrantee replacement on? ^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 01:53:57 PM »

Is Weiser taking back the lights they're doing warranty replacement on? ^-^
I was told I would be sent new ones, free of charge, of the revised version as soon as they would be available in production (2 to 4 weeks, so still 2019). He didn't write anything about the ones I already have.

NetPro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 07:03:34 AM »

I replaced all 4 on my bike at the end of September. Got them at AF1
All was good for almost 2 months: it did not start with the hyper flashing until it got cold here in North Carolina (maybe just a coincidence) but now it does it often and of course, it throws the familiar error 19 every time.
I will forward purchase receipts to the email provided by Weiser and wait and see.

Adding a resistor of the required value to these lights should present a bigger "load" to the circuit they are on, which in turn, is very likely to resolve the problem.
I was going to experiment with this but since Weiser has plans to replace them, I will not spend my time on it.
2020 Zero SR/F

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 08:44:10 AM »

Since I was worry to use these fancy and expensive electronic boards without any form of waterproofing in the often rainy Swiss weather I have used some light adhesive to somehow seal the plastic lens to the black body. That apparently was not necessary.

When I installed these on the rear of my 16 DSR I was very concerned when I saw how much dirt/dust had made its way to the inside of the lens. 
I sealed up the hole were the wires come into the pod as I didn't want a way for air to flow into the pod (bringing salt/dirt with it).
I also sealed the lens/pod seam.
I first applied two strips of masking tape (one on pod & the other on the lens), then applied a thin strip of black silicone being carful not to obstruct the drain port 
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 11:10:21 AM »

All was good for almost 2 months: it did not start with the hyper flashing until it got cold here in North Carolina (maybe just a coincidence) but now it does it often and of course, it throws the familiar error 19 every time.

With my short experience, yours much longer, and the reply I got from Weiser I don't think it is a coincidence. All those who bought and mounted them in the warmer months didn't experience the problem as strongly or as often (if at all!) as it became evident nowaday with much lower temperatures. Those SR/F in winter storage, should they have Weiser LED turn signals mounted, might never need the newer version if only used in summer. The other case are buyers in Southern California or Florida, same favorable situation with regard to operating temperatures.

I will forward purchase receipts to the email provided by Weiser and wait and see. ... I was going to experiment with this but since Weiser has plans to replace them, I will not spend my time on it.

There was an error in the email he gave me which I hoped I have fixed, if it bounces then just use the contact form on their website as I did.

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »

When I installed these on the rear of my 16 DSR I was very concerned when I saw how much dirt/dust had made its way to the inside of the lens. 

What you did is what I should have done, a better and cleaner job than using glue. When the new ones come I might just follow in your steps. Thanks for sharing your experience.

getdown45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 11:18:15 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'm French so excuse my English please.

I just sold my Dsr '18 and i ordered a Sr/f with will arrive on the 3rd july (but i I will not be able to drive it until the 9 july for a question of licence driving).

I want to change the original blinker for a pair of Led, like on my Dsr and on the dsr i changed the relay for a led one
So  my question is,  does anyone knows if there is a relay flasher on the Sr/f or it's the central unit with control the blinker?
Thank you for your responses.

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 09:25:56 AM »

Hi and welcome getdown45!  :)
The SR/F does not have a relay for the turn signals, they are controlled by the MBB. You can switch to LED turn signals two ways. Purchase Zero's LED turn signals and have a dealer configure your bike to accept them. Or you can get a pair of LED turn signals and install the appropriate resistor. If you don't add the resistor, you'll get error codes on the dash and the turn signals will blink too fast.

church

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 07:56:52 PM »

I put these on mine.

getdown45

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 01:30:44 AM »

Hi and welcome getdown45!  :)
The SR/F does not have a relay for the turn signals, they are controlled by the MBB. You can switch to LED turn signals two ways. Purchase Zero's LED turn signals and have a dealer configure your bike to accept them. Or you can get a pair of LED turn signals and install the appropriate resistor. If you don't add the resistor, you'll get error codes on the dash and the turn signals will blink too fast.
Thank you for your welcome.
Ok i got my answer, no relay for the turn signals, so i considered the solution of the resistor but i never heard of Zero's LED turn signals (and a dealer to configure them)?
What is exactly?

I put these on mine.
I think these are the same that i put on my ex Dsr '18 the IXS X-LED IND-60 (look at my link youtube above)?
But you haven't change the turn signals relay (they flash very quickly)?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 01:34:29 AM by getdown45 »

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 02:54:59 AM »

Thank you for your welcome.
Ok i got my answer, no relay for the turn signals, so i considered the solution of the resistor but i never heard of Zero's LED turn signals (and a dealer to configure them)?
What is exactly?
Zero offers led turn signals. You can see it in their accessory catalog: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/accessories-en-us.pdf
The dealer can order and install them.

The Weiser LED turn signals come with a resistor sometimes, you could check with them. It sounds like they have tested it on an SR/F.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:30:31 AM by Auriga »

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 07:16:52 AM »

You should probably directly inquire with Weiser.  The two factories are only a few blocks apart, I'm sure they've figured it out by now.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1] 2