• April 26, 2024, 01:03:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unofficial Manual changes and roadmap  (Read 1647 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Unofficial Manual changes and roadmap
« on: December 03, 2019, 05:37:05 AM »

This is just a general notice about the plan I'm intending to carry out, after months of gathering of notes, reading professional texts on technical writing, reviewing other motorcycle service manuals, and finally a very generous invitation to Zero headquarters to sit with the service team and go over the bike and its systems.

The unofficial manual's structure is a long and complex topic that's not really fit for a forum; I basically have to undertake an effort to keep it manageable, and unfortunately, I can't do this by committee, although I really want to make sure you can contribute. I intended to put out some polling about the ideas, but really the best feedback I can take will only happen once this effort is mostly complete, when people complain about how to find things, hopefully.

Problems
I intend to address the problems presented by having a new platform for the SR/F, which happen to reflect issues the manual has had covering the FX model's platform and the pre-2013 models.

So, the main problem with content around all of these motorcycle models is that they’re all different and yet share a lot. Some are different in small ways (FX vs FXS - same platform), and some are really big (SRF buswork and cabling are just hugely different from everything we’ve seen, mostly improved with some tradeoffs).

So far, I’ve just made a single-article service manual that is just gargantuan (700kb of HTML alone when I save it to disk). If I try making a PDF with my browser, about 60 pages are guaranteed (probably 80 pages with book-oriented formatting), and I’m sure it’d be a lot higher if I weren’t trying to keep that article from overloading my mobile phone browser when I need to look something up.

We have the same issue with the big aftermarket page, where some entries are for some platforms but not others, and you have to know the outline to figure out where to look.

And I’ll admit very easily that it’s hard to find things on the site. I’ve done my best to make the search bar work, but most people probably don’t realize it’s there or if they do, don’t trust it to work well. And I can never guess how someone’s going to think to themselves before looking.

Anyway, if I continue my current strategy and just jam in the SRF, it’s going to get totally out of control and confusing, and any further model just compounds that.

Solutions
First, I'm committing at least for now to not moving any of the current content around. This is difficult, but it means all the S/DS and X owners don’t have to follow the new content pattern until Google indexes it right and all of the front page gets sorted.

What I will do is to silently pull all the parts of the service manual into separate articles, and silently compose the service manual from those pages. I’ve been doing this for over a year, partly so I can load a single procedure onto my phone and use it in my garage. Here’s a directory of those procedure pages:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Procedure

If you look at a procedure, sometimes you’ll get a variant of 2013-2014 bikes in there, or X vs SDS written out in different steps. Inserting SRF information in there is where this turns into trouble.

If I put the battery into a separate article, I’d have a similar problem.

So, there’s a technical part of this plan where I break out articles into separate composed articles that each might be specific to a platform or a series of years or such. I’ll probably have to use a lot of prefixes like “2013-2014”, “SDS”, or “XMX”. I settled in on "Gen1", "Gen2", and "Gen3" where something was shared between platforms.

So, here are some component pages to give an idea of how it will split out the manual:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Component

Finally, there will be multiple service manuals, as required. Probably one for SDS, one for XMX, and one for FST, (or Gen1, Gen2, and Gen3!) and each will have areas of variation, but this is a practical decision to make these reasonable to read and not too large.

I’ll pull out the FST manual first, since that requires the least amount of work, and then I’ll cross-tie it with the existing content as necessary, and make articles that tie everything together across models as required. But eventually the FX and FXS will have their own manual, more or less. It won't be perfect, but it'll be easier to find things hopefully.

I think one big challenge will be making sure that owners know where to go from the front page. This is really difficult no matter how you slice it, and I'm not exactly clear on what I'll do, but it's definitely on my mind. I want users to use the search function, but right now this doesn't seem very common, for probably good reasons around the huge articles.

I'm not even sure what I want to ask from forum members. The wiki is designed so that you can contribute, which means adding pages, text, photos, etc., but I can't figure out how to share in the architecture planning, so I'll keep guiding it myself until someone steps up to collaborate at that level.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

staples

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial Manual changes and roadmap
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 11:50:35 AM »

Thanks for all your hard work on the manual. I know I've used it a quite a few times in my journey with my FXS over the past 18 months.

In terms of directing people from the front page, I'd kind of imagine it broken down by model / generation. Subpages can be referenced from multiple model or generation "main" pages. But that's just my thought.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »

I'd like to help, though I'll be pretty busy the next couple weeks until the holiday week.

Your manual is invaluable.

-Crissa

2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Zelidar

• SR/F Premium 2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »

The existence of such an online wiki resource played an important role in my purchase decision in favor of a Zero motorcycle. Glad to hear that they have made you an insider, to further expand and update it with newer models. I understand the challenge of organizing technical information when so much relates to something else yet being different. I don't think I would be able to do any better than what you've already done, especially given this is all volunteering work done within the same miserably small 24 hour days :).

Thank you for all the fine work that went into it already, much appreciated.
- Zero SR/F Premium (since 22.11.2019)
- (2007-2019 nothing and no car since 2017)
- Yamaha FJ1200 (2nd), FJ1200 (1st)
- Honda CBF 750, NX 650, MTX 125

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 03:04:50 AM »

I'll clarify about closeness with Zero that there are tons of details at Zero I am not privy to (I've never signed an NDA or other contractual agreement with Zero), and I don't have access to information that dealers get.

Zero employees do sometimes make specific official and unofficial claims to me, and sometimes I hear more vague indications or clues or leads, and I treat those the way a journalist would, seeing whether I can verify it myself or crosscheck it with other independent sources. This does make the task more difficult, but hopefully it protects me and the site in case anyone ever becomes litigious.

Zero doesn't pay me or reward me with anything more than just a pleasant level of access from time to time, and the occasional part or accessory for review or to help me out of a bind. Often enough, I just make strategic bids on EBay for parts from crashed bikes, of which I have more than I'd like right now.

Honestly, I'm changing the website mainly to fit more information without it getting out of hand further. I'm not even sure this will work well yet, but I have a reasonably good target that should work.

davidrnewman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 06:39:50 AM »

I like the way you are going with the update. I find it frustrating to read what I think is a relevant bit of the unofficial manual and then discover it is talking about an older model with important differences.

If I was doing this from scratch, I would use Semantic MediaWiki to get finer grained categories and relationships than you can in standard MediaWiki.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 11:56:05 PM »

I tried installing the Semantic Mediawiki extensions, and it was not within my capabilities. The owner of the site only granted me SFTP access with no login so I can’t run anything to extend it. Basically any backend adjustments are very delicate to apply and test because of this.

I have a backup instance where I’ve installed all the extensions I want, but it’ll require a domain name change to .org and that’s a huge step to undertake, if I don’t get the site owner’s cooperation. And he’s not been cooperative.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 03:53:55 AM »

Just for reference, I'm moving forward with the Gen/Platform nomenclature for the unofficial manual as I reorganize it to support the SR/F:

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Gen1
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Gen2
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Gen3

and:

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/SDS_Platform
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/XMX_Platform

SDS and XMX are Gen2, and do share quite a lot in common, so I think it's fair to keep them together.

FWIW for Gen1, the platforms are S and X, so when it comes time to break those out, that's how to distinguish them from SDS and XMX.

SR/F is FST / Gen3, of course. I think the Gen3 definition will stand up to scrutiny better than FST, but they're synonymous for now.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 03:56:07 AM »

Platforms are hardware base configurations (frames, powertrains, and everything fitted to or designed around them), whereas the "generations" are technology phases of development. Gen2 platforms might get Gen3 technology, say, but that's only on or after 2020 at this point.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 01:30:32 AM »

Okay, here's my current progress report:

• The text of the unofficial manual itself has been reduced (divided up among other pages) from 200kb down to 50kb.
  • The remaining text in the manual that should be its own article now mainly revolves around the motor controller, and I'm just resolving shortly how I want to structure that.
  • There are a number of categories to help find and collect pages now, which is really helpful at least for me. I think the maintenance category is pretty illustrative as a quick overview of what maintenance items on a Zero are worth minding: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Maintenance and here are all the categories: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Special:Categories
  • The platform pages are doing a lot of work now, which is a little scary, but I think it'll work out. I'll link to those below so it's a little clearer what's going on.
Gen2 covers the 2013+ SDS and XMX platforms. The articles under Gen2 apply to both platforms: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Gen2
So, then there's each platform: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Platform
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/SDS_Platform
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/XMX_Platform
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/FST_Platform

One challenge with this arrangement is that SRF model information would be split up a bit by "Gen3", then "FST Platform", then "SRF Model". Most of it will be FST Platform, but the trick is making sure everyone can find what they're looking for, and I don't think that's easy enough yet, since FST and Gen3 are not widely-known terms.

Anyway, at some point, what I'll do is take the outline of the current manual and copy it for each platform, so the XMX bikes get a little more focus, and the SDS manual can be updated without interfering. This could also apply to Gen1 bikes, if enough material can be contributed.

At this point, I don't have enough material (I might have enough knowledge but turning that into prose takes time) to make an FST/SRF manual, but the subpages under there can probably grow reasonably, so I might fill in the XMX manual first since that's a little more salient and will help me figure out how this strategy works.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:34:50 AM by BrianTRice »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 01:40:59 AM »

One separate trouble worth noting with this approach I've chosen is that there are a lot of components that appear on multiple platforms or models, and in different locations, so the procedures vary and the description of what the thing does is separate from how you get at it or what vulnerabilities it might have are.

Examples are the controller, the onboard charger, the BMS, the MBB, and etc. The SDS and XMX platforms share quite a bit, but the layouts are a lot different, so for a while I just focused on SDS and wrote for XMX when I could figure it out. At least the XMX has the "simple dirt bike" virtue of being laid out simply with a quick teardown approach, whereas the SDS really involves quite a tangle of cabling and varying configurations to deal with.

Anyway, this is all about where to put the information into pages. "Sevcon controller" vs "XMX Platform/Controller" is the gist of it.

rayand

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 05:53:09 AM »

WOW! What a brain. Thank You for all the hard work. rayand

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 07:42:01 AM »

Here's the new category for advanced modifications, which links back to the existing page until/unless all the sections are turned into pages:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Advanced_Modification

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 05:32:56 AM »

The unofficial manual is finally at 21.4kb in size, which represents basically just the structure, article links, and overview. I checked the page history and it topped out at 288kb, so at this point I'm sure the total content is closer to 350kb, but now it's distributed among a lot of smaller articles that are sorted into Gen2 or platform areas.

Here's the "long pages" ranking, which shows where the biggest pieces of content are. I've been using this to prioritize work and make sure everything gets its own page if there's more than a sentence about a topic.
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Special:LongPages

At this point, I can just plan how I want to make the XMX manual:
- It will start out as a subset of this manual, without sections with separate S and X parts, so it'll read better.
- Some sections will have to refer to the main manual for generic references for things like wiring and so on where our knowledge is somewhat incomplete and it helps to see the other document.
- The physical layout is still a big deal and deserves special treatment. I made teardown pages which show a certain flow to taking various parts of the bike off in order.

And that should help figure out the SRF (FST) manual, because it has similar issues.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 05:54:35 AM »

So, I created a rough and mostly-acceptable XMX (FX/FXS) manual in a few minutes!

I copied the existing Unofficial Service Manual page content into a new page and rolled up sections with SDS/XMX splits to just handle XMX. I added a few new sections that don't exist yet for XMX parts and procedures.

I think overall this does highlight what I thought might arise as issues for XMX owners trying to use the manual for their own purposes, but now you can fill in new sections quickly without engaging in the large-scale edits I've had to manage myself.

Anyway, here it is, and I would like feedback or assistance from FX/FXS owners:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/XMX_Platform/Unofficial_Service_Manual
Pages: [1] 2