• April 29, 2024, 10:45:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Failure of on board charger  (Read 2097 times)

valnar

• View Profile
Re: Failure of on board charger
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 01:17:03 AM »

Thanks guys.

In my case (FXS), the Quick charger is faster at 1KW.  If it saves the faulty internal charger, I may buy one.
Zero FXS 2020

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 11:08:45 AM »

Thanks guys.

In my case (FXS), the Quick charger is faster at 1KW.  If it saves the faulty internal charger, I may buy one.
Oh, I forgot you have a FXS. So the QC is a small  advantage to your charging speed.

I normally use both, as that reduces the time the OBC is charging, so I assume the OBC will last longer if I always charge quickly with more chargers even when I am in no hurry. I normally don't use the OBC or  QC alone, but I know the QC will work fine alone if the bike is keyed on for a few seconds to get the contactor to close.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

volt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 08:54:04 PM »

Guys thanks for all replies, just as an update, I replaced the OBC (800 bucks!) and everything is back to normal again.
If this one dies again I'll probably do the tank.

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 06:27:06 PM »

Don - Can you show how you permanently mounted the Y cable? More importantly, can you send link to where to buy dust caps for the Y connector? I ride bumpy dirt roads so the dust caps will need to stay on in those conditions.

What's the procedure?  Plug in charger, turn key on, then off.  That's it?
I might pick up the DeltaQ quick charger.
The QC connector is just above the motor. I find it a small hassle to get to, so I have mine connected to a "Y" cable mounted on the bike so I can then easily use one or two QCs as well as the OBC as I am now doing.

The differences will be:

1. The bikes's key will have to be on for the charging to start. As soon as it starts charging, the bike can be switched off and charging will continue. This is only if you cannot use the OBC as well. On the QC, when the top light is on, you're charging. That may take ten seconds or so after everything is connected up correctly.

2. The QC is a little slower than the OBC. The OBC is around 1.4 KW charging, each QC is only 1.0 KW charging. But if you add a Y cable and use two QC's you will charge at 2.0 KW which will then be a little faster charging than your OBC or twice as fast as using one QC.

3. To charge on the road you will have to bring the QC with you.

4. The QCs are MUCH more reliable than the OBC. While I have heard of several OBCs crapping out, I have yet to hear of a QC crapping out.

-Don-  Reno, NV
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »

Some of the S platform Zero's have an isolation issue  that is killing the onboard charger, because the charger is also connected to the CAN of the motorcycle. It's not the charger that is bad, so , most of the Zero are ok, but the ones that killed the onboard charger,  will continue to do so at a slower or faster rate.
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »

Don - Can you show how you permanently mounted the Y cable? More importantly, can you send link to where to buy dust caps for the Y connector? I ride bumpy dirt roads so the dust caps will need to stay on in those conditions.
I don't ride my SR in the dirt and I have the sidebag mounting bars  to mount to, so this probably won't do you any good,

I simply have the Y cable tie-wrapped to the mounting bars for the side bags.

The smaller connectors to the left of the left foot peg are for my Elcon chargers. They go to the batt contacts on the motor controller.  I charge this bike as high as around 8.3 KW by using the two Elcons along with the two Delta  Q's:

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

evdjerome

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 07:02:41 PM »

Thanks for the pic. I might do something similar if I can get another dust cap.

I don't ride my SR in the dirt and I have the sidebag mounting bars  to mount to, so this probably won't do you any good,

I simply have the Y cable tie-wrapped to the mounting bars for the side bags.

The smaller connectors to the left of the left foot peg are for my Elcon chargers. They go to the batt contacts on the motor controller.  I charge this bike as high as around 8.3 KW by using the two Elcons along with the two Delta  Q's:

-Don-  Auburn, CA
2015 Zero DS 14.4 (originally 12.5)
2012 Zero DS 9 (sold)

TEV

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 08:35:10 PM »

This should fit, but I am not 100% sure : https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Anderson-Power-Products/134G1?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvlX3nhDDO4ALNZHDn%2FFYPdgmDkHUN0H4Y%3D
2019 ZERO DSR
2020 ZERO FXS

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 03:55:54 AM »

This should fit, but I am not 100% sure : https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Anderson-Power-Products/134G1?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvlX3nhDDO4ALNZHDn%2FFYPdgmDkHUN0H4Y%3D
I will soon let you know, I just took a chance and ordered four.

After I receive them, I will post here if they fit.  If not, they will go into one of my many junk boxes.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »

I received the dust caps  today. The 879-134G1 Mfr. #:134G1 do NOT fit the DeltaQ chargers. They are too small. However, I lucked out anyway, as I bought four of them and they fit all four Anderson connectors for my Elcon chargers. See photo below:

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

dannsky

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2023, 04:44:44 PM »

What's the procedure?  Plug in charger, turn key on, then off.  That's it?
I might pick up the DeltaQ quick charger.
The QC connector is just above the motor. I find it a small hassle to get to, so I have mine connected to a "Y" cable mounted on the bike so I can then easily use one or two QCs as well as the OBC as I am now doing.

The differences will be:

1. The bikes's key will have to be on for the charging to start. As soon as it starts charging, the bike can be switched off and charging will continue. This is only if you cannot use the OBC as well. On the QC, when the top light is on, you're charging. That may take ten seconds or so after everything is connected up correctly.

2. The QC is a little slower than the OBC. The OBC is around 1.4 KW charging, each QC is only 1.0 KW charging. But if you add a Y cable and use two QC's you will charge at 2.0 KW which will then be a little faster charging than your OBC or twice as fast as using one QC.

3. To charge on the road you will have to bring the QC with you.

4. The QCs are MUCH more reliable than the OBC. While I have heard of several OBCs crapping out, I have yet to hear of a QC crapping out.

-Don-  Reno, NV
I charge my Zero S with a homemade charger with a maximum charge current of about 34A. I noticed that when I act according to your instructions, the "Charging" lamp on the dashboard does not light up. Although having measured the current with current measuring tongs, I understand that charging has begun. What am I doing wrong?

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2023, 10:10:04 PM »

First off you're necroing old threads. Quit that. Second you're not sending an enable signal.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2023, 01:19:37 AM »

I charge my Zero S with a homemade charger with a maximum charge current of about 34A. I noticed that when I act according to your instructions, the "Charging" lamp on the dashboard does not light up. Although having measured the current with current measuring tongs, I understand that charging has begun. What am I doing wrong?
Would need a lot more info. about that "homemade charger" to answer any questions to be sure about much of anything,  but as MVetter says your enable signal is probably not there. But if it charges the battery, and advancing your SOC why care?

The way I use my external chargers it is the opposite issue. My charge light will blink even when I am NOT charging. But I can remove the key and charge with only the external chargers when NOT using the OBC. See here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

dannsky

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2023, 02:11:48 AM »

Would need a lot more info. about that "homemade charger" to answer any questions to be sure about much of anything,  but as MVetter says your enable signal is probably not there. But if it charges the battery, and advancing your SOC why care?

The way I use my external chargers it is the opposite issue. My charge light will blink even when I am NOT charging. But I can remove the key and charge with only the external chargers when NOT using the OBC. See here.

-Don-  Reno, NV
Did I understand correctly that in order to give the command to turn on the contactor, I must close the red and gray wires from the signal connector of the standard charger (OBC)? At the end of charging the battery, should I open these two wires again? Isn't it?

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2023, 03:24:37 AM »

Did I understand correctly that in order to give the command to turn on the contactor, I must close the red and gray wires from the signal connector of the standard charger (OBC)? At the end of charging the battery, should I open these two wires again? Isn't it?
Not exactly. Do this in order:

1. Turn on key normally.

2. Short red to gray wires (such as with my switch).

3. Turn off key, remove key. Contactor will stay closed with key out. Charge light will blink even when NOT charging. Will also blink when you're charging. You can now charge with or without using the OBC.

4. When done charging, open the red to gray wires (back to normal). Put key in and ride away.

-Don-  Reno, NV

1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X