• March 29, 2024, 01:51:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Broken caliper mount  (Read 588 times)

idle

• View Profile
Broken caliper mount
« on: December 10, 2019, 04:42:13 AM »

2016 DSR

Someone tried to steal my bike the other day, I keep a lock on the rear rotor - it seems like they rolled the bike back and pushed it forward very hard. The mount to the caliper broke clean. That metal seems brittle, chalky.

Does anyone know if I can order the caliper mount itself, or does that mount come with the caliper? I can't talk with a dealer until they open tomorrow.

Caliper seems fine, in the attachments I have a wooden block between the brake pads to prevent the caliper piston from popping out - and I've wire tied the actual caliper to the swingarm until I can get another mount.

Also: I've ordered a xena disc lock alarm. 80% of the time the bike sits inside the house, when it's at apartments I always get worried.

idle

• View Profile
Re: Broken caliper mount
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 04:45:19 AM »

pics

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 05:00:27 AM »

I think it is likely that the caliper is sold as a unit.  You can check out a replacement caliper and its price at this site:
https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=3103
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 05:12:51 AM »

Assholes. Thank god for the lock, though, it did its job, it kept the bike right where you put it! Replacing a caliper (or maybe just the bracket) is small potatoes compared to replacing the whole bike. After the insurance company gave you what they thought the bike was worth, you'd still be stuck with a wonderful bill.

I'm sure that bracket is cast aluminum and just strong enough to do its job. Hopefully you can get it separately, but even if you can't, get some graphite or something to treat that lock with. It did good.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 06:33:22 AM »

Couple for sale on eBay.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123927490746

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122900627577

2015+ should all be the same for all the models. I’d be surprised if your rotor isn’t bent as well.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 06:35:06 AM by Say10 15FX 16FXS »

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 07:12:46 AM »

You guys rock! I didn't even consider ebay would have used parts like this. Ordered and eager to fix

And yeah I agree about the $7 lock, best $7 spent rn :D

I haven't checked yet, but the rotor seems normal, I'll inspect it soon

Thanks all

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 07:46:16 AM »

Would be cool to fab up a new bracket that could fit a Brembo caliper or the like. I think a new rear rotor is about $50. If you wind up changing it, Loctite on the bolts. A little heat will go a long way.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 07:50:40 AM »

PS, which lock did you buy?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 06:58:44 AM »

PS, which lock did you buy?

-Crissa
I picked up this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091O6V54/

I noticed that the handlebars were in the opposite direction (right) of where I keep them when I park (left) as I went to my bike the day after they tried to steal it - this kind of alarm would sound off as they get on it and it leans over, or if they roll it to try to bash the lock again. I'm gonna keep the window cracked when I'm @ my gf's apartments, the normal lock on the rear rotor, and the alarm lock on the front, and I'll go back to putting a cover on it each night too - I did that for a good year before slacking and keeping it off.

idle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 08:16:33 AM »

I’d be surprised if your rotor isn’t bent as well.

Just a follow up to this, parts came in the mail today - I swapped out the caliper mount/bracket, got belt correct, rode it while it was lifted and noticed that the caliper was slightly moving in and out. Eyeballing the rotor as it was spinning it looks like you were right. It's a tiny noise I can't hear while riding but the caliper is definitely floating left and right as the warped rotor rides through the pads.

I don't think it's a significant enough movement to cause issue - long term the worst case scenario might be scraped up pins? In any case, thanks all, I'm glad I have rear brakes again - alarm is LOUD. I told myself I'd get to 30k miles by the end of the year and this helps with that goal  ;D

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 04:13:05 PM »

My rear rotor is warped, too.  It will wear out pads faster, but there's no real harm aside from noise as it floats a little.  If it gets scrapey or squeeky, a dab on the brake should re-align the pads.  If the pads don't have enough motion, they can be calibrated to.  Once they can't any longer or the rotor has finally worn out, that's when to replace it.  (Or you get sick of the squeak)

-Crissa.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 10:52:24 PM »

It's hard to recommend riding on a warped disk. You'll have a problem with brand-new pads, where there may not be enough room to accommodate their full thickness, and you'll rub on one side (or both) until the pad is worn down a bit.

Also, at speed, you'll probably notice a pulsation when you're braking, due to the warp. It may not be too bad, but if you're in a tough spot and need to brake very hard to get out of trouble, a pulsation due to the brakes just adds to your workload.

You're fortunate it's on the rear, and maybe it's acceptable for that reason. The front brake provides the majority of your braking, especially in a panic braking incident when your weight is transferred very hard to the front wheel. The front wheel has a lot of traction in that circumstance, the rear almost none.

But seriously, give some hard thought to replacing that disk when you have a few extra bucks lying around. Your brakes are your most important piece of safety equipment.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

talon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 03:52:43 PM »

Reviving an old thread to correct some information. The 2017 caliper bracket fully encloses the welded locator "pin" in the swingarm. The 2016 (and likely before) does not and has what I'll describe as a tine of a fork holding the caliper from swinging backwards (backing up and applying rear brake). Repetitive stress and a potentially loose rear axle nut will fatigue this part and cause it to fail in the reverse direction, hence the design change. Mine was replaced with 2017 bracket as I live on a ridiculous hill. This is probably not a safety concern for braking in the forward direction.
Pages: [1]