• April 27, 2024, 02:00:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My panoply of error codes.  (Read 574 times)

Rangerx52

• View Profile
My panoply of error codes.
« on: December 24, 2019, 04:06:46 AM »

2 months. I've owned it 2 months. It has 3k on the odometer.

I was turning left one night in a parking lot, the throttle "stumbled", cut off for a second, kicked back in, lost traction and landed on my knee, crushing the soft tissue.

Throttle problem still sporadically happens. It died on me one night in the rain on the highway. It wont charge properly anymore, the screen flashes and it stops at some point.

I kept it nice and dry, warm, and made sure water wasnt an issue.
Took it on a trip to the mall today. That trip is costing me 185 dollars, and I never even made it to the mall. I got halfway and the throttle started doing its cutout thing again. Then the throttle just plain stopped responding. It's a dry, beautiful day right now, and it's doing the exact same thing it did the other night.

I had to park in someone's driveway to wait for the tow truck. I got error codes: 57,44,27,25,48,49,31.

The bike would sometimes stop showing codes, and the whole screen would flash. Other times it would show no codes, and then the contactor would close, but wouldn't respond to the throttle.

I am a very, very displeased new zero owner, and my legs are God damned sore from pushing this fucking bike.

Hey, if anyone from zero is looking at this forum, considering theres unlikely to be more than a handful of ev bike in Canada overall, what kind of publicity do you think the brand is going to get, when I've had to push mine along busy public roads in the frigging rain and misery?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: My panoply of error codes.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »

Well, a few things.  First a 2016 SR isn't new only new to you.  I don't know if it's from the dealer and your the first owner or it's used but it's not new.
If someone else owned it they likely knew there were issues and passed them on to you.  If it's from a dealer I hope they told you the 2 year warranty is gone and you got it for a song.
 You can email the error log to your email and run them through this:  http://home.hasslers.net/zerologparser/log_parser.php
I don't know if you have seen this before but it's all our best knowledge of the bikes.  https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Main_Page

It might be as simple as a BMS reset or a problem with the MBB itself.
I hope this helps and for what it's worth I won't ride either of my bikes if there is any real chance of rain.  To me it just isn't worth it.
That goes double for salted winter roads.
Good luck.

Rangerx52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 10:07:27 AM »

Was a showroom model, i got it for a deal because the fairings were sun bleached and it was a model no longer available. Off the floor, i am the first owner

Rangerx52

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 11:17:01 AM »

And  now this.
I had no idea I could download logs via bluetooth, or even that the app and bike supported the 2016 model.

I excitedly downloaded the app, flicked the bike on, paired, saw the opening screen and info, then clicked on the bike log download.

It got to 17 percent. Then the headlight turned off, it disconnected, and the screen and lights went nuts, just flashing everything.

I powered the bike down, restarted the app, and tried again.
Got to 85 percent. Then again, off with the headlight, and the screen flickering.

This bike was fine, it ran great, and now I cant even check my damn logs to find out what is deal is. Please tell me someone has seen this bullshit before

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »

I hope this helps and for what it's worth I won't ride either of my bikes if there is any real chance of rain.
I got back from a ride in the rain a few hours ago on my 2017 Zero DS ZF 6.5. I have ridden it in the rain many times without any problem.  I cannot say that I have been any more concerned about riding my electrics in the rain than my ICE bikes.

It needed some washing from all those unpaved roads I have been on in OPCNM and it got it today. So did my cycle clothes. The clothes kept me dry, but they were soaked by the time I got back to this RV.

As soon as I got back, the rain stopped, of course.

I won't leave in the rain on any bike, unless I have to. But I have been rained just after leaving or coming back many times.

-Don- Yuma, AZ (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »

Ranger, man I feel your pain but it sounds like you will need to take it back to the dealer.  There were some bad software updates in the past and I don't know which version your bike has.

These bikes are just very different from the way an ICE bike works.  It's a computer with wheels.
You could have a bad throttle unit or a loose connection or any number of software or main bike board issues.  A lot of your error codes have to do with your contactor which of course is a major component for the bikes operation.

Each year the bikes have gotten better and 16 on is a pretty solid bike.  EVERY company has lemons though and like I said it might be an easy fix or it might be a major problem that triggered a series of problems. 

My 13 bike needed the battery and BMS replaced at about 10k miles.  It's worked mostly fine since then and has about 33k miles now going strong. I hope they can get you back up and running asap and it's smooth sailing from here on out.

I am surprised the dealer didn't go over the app with you since it's a major feature of the bike.
I know the timeing is bad with the holidays as well but it's best to turn it back over to the dealer at this point so they can plug it up and see what the issue is.

Good luck man and try to relax with it and just see what the problem is.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 08:52:07 PM »

I am surprised the dealer didn't go over the app with you since it's a major feature of the bike.
I would be shocked if anybody in sales even knew about such.

When I first bought my Zero DS in 2017, (in Reno, NV) every question I asked gave me an incorrect answer that I had to find out  later on my own. 

For one example,  I asked the sales guy what voltage the motor used. I was told "12 volts".  Based on my own experience, this is the typical  BS at Zero dealers with their sales departments with electric motorcycles.

-Don-   Yuma, AZ (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Rangerx52

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 09:18:39 PM »

And I acknowledge that, I have a heavy electrical background, and could likely troubleshoot the bike myself- BUT..

I got rid of my ice bike because I was sick of dealing with maintenance and breakdowns. This bike was my dream, and now is a 400lb lump that will literally do -nothing- I ask it to, regardless of complexity. I want to RIP it open and find the problem, but I cant run the risk of the dealer refusing to help on that basis, and they're closed for like a week at this point- so I cant fix it, and I cant ask anyone else to fix it. I'm fucked here, and have no option but to sit and stare at this motionless Christmas light

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 09:47:54 PM »

And I acknowledge that, I have a heavy electrical background, and could likely troubleshoot the bike myself- BUT..

I got rid of my ice bike because I was sick of dealing with maintenance and breakdowns. This bike was my dream, and now is a 400lb lump that will literally do -nothing- I ask it to, regardless of complexity. I want to RIP it open and find the problem, but I cant run the risk of the dealer refusing to help on that basis, and they're closed for like a week at this point- so I cant fix it, and I cant ask anyone else to fix it. I'm fucked here, and have no option but to sit and stare at this motionless Christmas light
Did you trying playing around with the BMS reset buttons, the long reset, where both buttons are pressed in for a while?

-Don-  Yuma, AZ (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Rangerx52

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 12:19:53 AM »

I did not. I just read about that last night. To me it looks like some kind of issue with either the BMS not supplying adequate power to the controller, or the controller just outright failing (possibly due to erroneous sensor input?). I was thinking of pulling the seat and checking all plugs from the controller to see if I had water in them (?), and then trying the BMS reset.

So for reference- I try the software reset first, then if that doesnt solve anything, I try the hardware reset button next to it. I didnt read anything about pushing both at the same time,  what function does that perform?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 12:38:36 AM »

Full reset. 

The throttle issue is the one that worries me.
When my BMS was going out I would lose regen and it would lurch when coasting.
Also with the old bikes the front brake lever could get loose and tap the brake light switch which would send the bike into regen on off and start messing people up.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 04:13:05 AM »

I did not. I just read about that last night. To me it looks like some kind of issue with either the BMS not supplying adequate power to the controller, or the controller just outright failing (possibly due to erroneous sensor input?). I was thinking of pulling the seat and checking all plugs from the controller to see if I had water in them (?), and then trying the BMS reset.

So for reference- I try the software reset first, then if that doesnt solve anything, I try the hardware reset button next to it. I didnt read anything about pushing both at the same time,  what function does that perform?
My bike was once acting weird and IIRC, that was the fix for me, perhaps it reboots everything from the start. But that was a couple of years ago, and I really don't remember exactly what I did other than play around with those buttons. But if your bike is not running, play with those buttons all you want. You cannot make it any worse!

-Don-  Yuma, AZ
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 02:29:59 PM »

Did the dealer confirm the firmware update?

Sun-faded plastics is a bit of a warning sign of something not really well taken cared for.

A mainboard failing is something that would take out many an ICE bike now a days.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 01:55:51 AM »

I didnt read anything about pushing both at the same time,  what function does that perform?
Did you miss number 7 ?

7. "2015+: If the error is still present after a hardware reset, try both at the same time."

What year is your bike? 2016?

-Don-  Yuma, AZ (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE