• April 25, 2024, 09:45:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mileage and Elcon Usage  (Read 334 times)

MikeL

• View Profile
Mileage and Elcon Usage
« on: December 27, 2019, 10:22:32 PM »

I'm currently looking at a used FXS, 2018. It has just shy of 20k miles on it and according to the previous owner, they used an Elcon charger on it. Elcon doesn't come with it sadly.

I have a two questions:
  • How does everyone here feel about "high" mileage Zero's that will be out of warranty soon? Is higher mileage not as much of a concern compared to ICE?
  • Does the previous usage of Elcon charger (not currently being used) make the battery warranty void? I saw on the unofficial zero manual wiki that Elcon wouldn't be covered... but I'm wondering if Zero would honor it IF something happened down the road?

This would be my first electric. Finding a used FXS is damn hard for a good price.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Mileage and Elcon Usage
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 11:14:40 PM »

Well 20k since 2018 means they sure did ride that bike.  There was a video of a guy with an Elcon in a top case on a FXS might be the same guy.
As to warranty in the US a company has to prove a aftermarket item caused damage to void the warranty.

No one can say if your bike will have problems with it at the 20k mark it's really a roll of the dice.  Your charger may die tomorrow or last 6 more years.  Not trying to scare you off but it's just the truth. The bearings and springs will have more wear on them so keep that in mind.

In my years of owning (33k on mine) and reading other people's comments on their high mileage bikes it's mostly fine.
I would say I'd rather have a 2016 bike with 15k miles on it than a 2015 with 2k.  So far it seems the battery "likes" to be used and recharged rather than just sit.

I would advise having the money to cover a few costly repairs just in case.  It's not a deal if it has issues that can't be fixed and it ends up sitting in a garage.

Good luck.  People say they are really fun bikes.

MikeL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 11:29:21 PM »

Well 20k since 2018 means they sure did ride that bike.  There was a video of a guy with an Elcon in a top case on a FXS might be the same guy.
As to warranty in the US a company has to prove a aftermarket item caused damage to void the warranty.

No one can say if your bike will have problems with it at the 20k mark it's really a roll of the dice.  Your charger may die tomorrow or last 6 more years.  Not trying to scare you off but it's just the truth. The bearings and springs will have more wear on them so keep that in mind.

In my years of owning (33k on mine) and reading other people's comments on their high mileage bikes it's mostly fine.
I would say I'd rather have a 2016 bike with 15k miles on it than a 2015 with 2k.  So far it seems the battery "likes" to be used and recharged rather than just sit.

I would advise having the money to cover a few costly repairs just in case.  It's not a deal if it has issues that can't be fixed and it ends up sitting in a garage.

Good luck.  People say they are really fun bikes.

Thanks for the thoughts! I actually know the YouTuber you're talking about, MOTOMARK. Looking at his most recent video and the posting, I believe it is his bike. I think I might pass on it only because he rides motorcycles HARD haha. Even claimed he blew up 4 of his 11 bikes. Damn.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 12:36:48 AM »

Yeah that's him.
There will be other deals out there.  Also never worry about making an offer to someone and being told no.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]