• April 26, 2024, 05:23:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Chain Kit Slack  (Read 759 times)

roadrich

• Zero FX / Sur-Ron X
    • View Profile
Chain Kit Slack
« on: December 28, 2019, 03:28:52 AM »

Just installed the chain kit on my 2018 Zero FX.  How much slack should the chain have?  I only found one video that said "about 1 inch" but would like to know if Zero has a specification for this.  Thanks!
2018 Zero FX / 2017 Sur-Ron X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Chain Kit Slack
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 07:10:33 AM »

Most chain-driven motorcycle manuals call for 0.8-1.2in (22-28mm) of slack, and actually I'm just recalling V-Strom 650 recommendations with an O- or X-ring chain.

Zero hasn't published any recommendations that I'm aware of.

Here are some generic recommendations that suggest it's more of a judgement call about how the bike will be ridden:
https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/08/28/cycle-world-tips-and-tricks-how-to-check-and-adjust-your-motorcycle-chain/

Just remember that chains get looser as they wear and lose oil for O-ring or X-ring chains, but Zero's chain kit doesn't have rings apparently, so I don't know.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 07:22:45 AM »

Disconnect the shock so that you can move the swing arm up and down to find the chain's tightest point, likely when it is parallel with the ground' and still has a small amount of slack.  That will be where the chain should be set so that it will not be too tight under all conditions.  Measure the slack after reconnecting the shock and that will be the amount of slack that you will want to record for future adjustments and checking.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 07:24:54 AM »

Disconnect the shock so that you can move the swing arm up and down to find the chain's tightest point, likely when it is parallel with the ground' and still has a small amount of slack.  That will be where the chain should be set so that it will not be too tight under all conditions.  Measure the slack after reconnecting the shock and that will be the amount of slack that you will want to record for future adjustments and checking.

Doesn't the concentric pivot of the swingarm and motor / front sprocket make this mostly a redundant test?

I would guess that really the only concern is how much jerk the chain will experience under dynamic load.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:10:07 PM »

Thank you, Brian.  You beat me to it.  Unlike most other motorcycles, the swing arm pivot is exactly in line with the output sprocket so the chain will NOT change tension as the suspension moves through it's travel.  The reason most motorcycles have slack in the chain is to allow for the differing lengths of the chain travel due to suspension movement.  This doesn't happen on a Zero.  Don't make it too snug that it puts strain on the motor and wheel bearings and you'll be fine.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 08:47:52 PM »

Thank you, Brian.  You beat me to it.  Unlike most other motorcycles, the swing arm pivot is exactly in line with the output sprocket so the chain will NOT change tension as the suspension moves through it's travel.  The reason most motorcycles have slack in the chain is to allow for the differing lengths of the chain travel due to suspension movement.  This doesn't happen on a Zero.  Don't make it too snug that it puts strain on the motor and wheel bearings and you'll be fine.

That is right. I had forgotten about Zero's rational design. :-[  Use my system of determining the appropriate chain slack for all other chain-driven motorcycle brands.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

roadrich

• Zero FX / Sur-Ron X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 08:50:46 PM »

Awesome, thanks everyone.  I set it around 3/4" slack for now.  If I wasn't worried about snapping the belt in the middle of a forest, I would have probably stuck with the belt drive.  It is noticeably louder.  Not horrible but no more sneaking up on pedestrians.
2018 Zero FX / 2017 Sur-Ron X

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 01:02:35 AM »

I've updated the unofficial chain kit guide with maintenance notes, thanks:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Chain_Kit