• March 28, 2024, 05:01:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "I’d rather be limited to 100-mile increments and have the bike replenish in 45"  (Read 650 times)

enaef

• View Profile

Sabrina Giacomini comes to a conclusion about the SR/F:
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/389487/zero-srf-chronicles-review-final-thoughts/  ....

.... in her Zero chronicles articles:
https://www.rideapart.com/tag/zero-chronicles/
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger

petewarm

• View Profile

Couldn't agree more. See my post for a nerdy explanation and a further link to previous stuff.

"slow is the new fast"

Any body got an idea of if we can charge the 14.4 kWh power pack faster?
In the UK all our rapid ac charge=stations are 3 phase, 22 or above, so thats 3 off 7kW chargers..

Anybody heard if diginow is still existent?

Thanks for posting! pete
2019 SR/F premium blue - weeeeee! - now with rapid charge :-)
5 years no driving with defibrillator
2002 Honda VFR 750
15 years raise a family
1970 Triumph 350 speed twin school commute

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page

Diginow is no longer in business and haven't been in several months.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

NEW2elec

• View Profile

Plus as of now you can't charge at a rate much greater then 1C.  So a charge of 0% SOC to 100% SOC needs to take about an hour.

shayan

• View Profile

On Facebook there is one person: Scott who is trying to come up with a dub-J solution. But not sure if that's for the S-DS platforms. If only the SR/F's 12kW charging could work on these bikes...
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank

TheRan

• View Profile

Diginow is no longer in business and haven't been in several months.
Really? Their site is still up and running, no recent activity on their Facebook page, the Indiegogo, or the Supercharger v2.5 thread on here but no mention of them quitting. I was really hoping the SC was going to be an option for me in the future (don't have the money for one right now plus I'm still paying for the bike so it's not technically mine) and they'd release it to the general public once the Indigogo pledges are fulfilled. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the used market.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

I must make the obligatory counterproposal that charging equipment is only half of the story for travel, and aerodynamics are the other half. We're just not getting OEM support for aerodynamic improvements, and it's harder to arrange DIY.

BUT, 100 mile increments with a 45 minute charge cycle can be achieved with a 1C rate on a top-line Zero if the fairings are good.

I've done it with a 2016 DSR + Power Tank (16kWh) and a Hollywood Electrics fairing.

The SRF should get that Power Tank (18kWh), external charging support, and a fairing, and then be able to do 100 miles per charge with a 45 minute charge time. The 2020 SR has that kind of support; the SRF should be able to do better.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile

How are you charging in 45min?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile

It's not a full charge in 45 minutes (because that would be over 1C), just enough to get 100 miles range. So that'd be about 130ish miles in an hour charging at like 16kW. An SR/F Premium with the 6kW rapid charge (so 12kW total) would be 1.5 hours to a 100 mile range (going by the 55mph highway range which I assume is what Brian was going with for the DSR). Of course if you're going slower then a 1 hour charge to 95% could still get you 100 miles, perhaps even just 45 minutes.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site

That’s right. The 1C rate in kW is increased by adding a Power Tank, and then the economy is managed with speed and a fairing.

The charge rate is of course boosted with charging equipment.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile

Clearly nobody explained to Sabrina that charge speed is reduced below about 20% SoC and above about 80%. Ride shorter legs, stay in the 20-80% range and your charge speed will be maximized. You would have to make more stops, but it might be faster overall anyhow.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

DonTom

• View Profile

Sabrina Giacomini comes to a conclusion about the SR/F:
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/389487/zero-srf-chronicles-review-final-thoughts/  ....

.... in her Zero chronicles articles:
https://www.rideapart.com/tag/zero-chronicles/
She should be looking into Energicas with the standard 26 KW charging.

-Don-  Turnlock, CA (RV)
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

shayan

• View Profile

Someone should try do a road trip using the 12kW charger on the Premium and plan the trip around Tesla destination chargers, RV Nema outlets etc which can utilize the full charging capability. That could be less frustrating during the waits and possibly give a better idea of the full capability of the SR/F.
In terms of charging, this attempt in the article is no different that trying this on a ZF 14.4 S/SR with a 6kW charge tank.

-Shayan
-Shayan

2020 Zero SR/F standard + ChargeTank
Pages: [1]