• May 02, 2024, 03:21:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SOLVED!!! Dead 2013 Zero S. MBB broken? How can I test it?  (Read 1233 times)

EdgarZero

• View Profile
SOLVED!!! Dead 2013 Zero S. MBB broken? How can I test it?
« on: December 30, 2019, 04:51:32 AM »

Hi everyone

I wrote another post with the first impressions of the problem: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9594.msg86195#msg86195

So it goes like this: I have a 2013 Zero S with no power at all when I turn the ignition on. Only the BMS seems ok. The bike won't change either.

The problem apparently was caused by the DC-DC converter because the bike had 12 volts activity always on (lights and dashboard) despite ignition off and key out right before it died. This happened after exposure to rain.

Anyway, I bypassed the MBB enable signal and could make the DC-DC converter work (connecting directly pin 1 to pin's 2 high voltage). I had 12 volts full activity but, evidently, not full power on the other components on the bike and couldn't ride.

So I think the DC-DC is ok and lacks the enable signal from the MBB. I also think the MBB could be responsible for the total lack of power in the bike. Could this be true?

I would like to test the MBB further. I read a USB cable to the OBD MBB diagnostics output can be built. But I'm not sure if this would work with the bike's actual lack of power. Or the cable can be powered externally? Any ideas about this?

Thank you all.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:34:50 AM by EdgarZero »

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Dead 2013 Zero S. MBB broken? How can I test it?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »

It sounds like it may very well be your MBB.

But you still need to see the dealer.

It's sounds like you know your way around a wrench but this sounds like a 1s and 0s problem.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 04:16:44 AM »

Hi. I've got a spare 2013 MBB we're not using. I don't know if it works or not, but it's yours if you want to pay shipping from California. You can email me at morgan@diginow.it to work out details if you are interested.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 05:41:22 AM »

Very nice of you Morgan.
Electric motorcycle people are good people.

MVetter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 06:01:18 AM »

The community will only grow if we help it

EdgarZero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 03:52:58 AM »

NEW2elec thanks a lot for your help, I have contacted a dealer and it still seems it is the MBB.
Damn, Morgan, that's a very kind offer from you. I have already ordered a new MBB from Hollywood Electrics. I am not an expert but I read that the MBB needs to be programmed for every single specific motorcycle and mine had the battery changed for a zf 13 during a recall. Man, it could still be a good idea to have your MBB as a replacement. I will send you and email.
Thank you all for your interest.

EdgarZero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 10:03:36 AM »

SOLVED!!!! Today my new MBB arrived and it worked like a charm! Now I have to put dielectric grease to the connection to the DC-DC, cover it and re assemble everything. I can't wait to get it on the streets again. YOU CAN'T KNOW HOW GRATEFUL I'M WITH ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND ADVICES.

I would like very much to contribute with the unofficial manual, if it is possible, maybe in some kind of content about MBB failures or loss of total power. See you all and long live to electric motorcycles!!!

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: SOLVED!!! Dead 2013 Zero S. MBB broken? How can I test it?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 09:23:42 PM »

Glad it worked out for.  Here's to hoping for many years and miles of great riding. Enjoy.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 12:11:27 AM »

SOLVED!!!! Today my new MBB arrived and it worked like a charm! Now I have to put dielectric grease to the connection to the DC-DC, cover it and re assemble everything. I can't wait to get it on the streets again. YOU CAN'T KNOW HOW GRATEFUL I'M WITH ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND ADVICES.

I would like very much to contribute with the unofficial manual, if it is possible, maybe in some kind of content about MBB failures or loss of total power. See you all and long live to electric motorcycles!!!

I'm glad to hear that a replacement worked. I'm also glad to hear your interest in contributing to the unofficial manual.

Of course, the manual is a wiki, so creating an account with the site and hitting "Edit" on a page is enough to contribute. I don't have any (or try to have any) quality requirements for a contribution, but I may use some editorial discretion to re-organize it so it's a little more objective in some way and mostly legibility.

If the wiki isn't to your taste, just email me at my forum username at gmail.com with what you want to write and I'll process it for you gladly. Forum messages can be hard to expand with a lot of text.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

ohhaidere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 04:07:41 AM »

Hi everyone

I wrote another post with the first impressions of the problem: https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9594.msg86195#msg86195

So it goes like this: I have a 2013 Zero S with no power at all when I turn the ignition on. Only the BMS seems ok. The bike won't change either.

The problem apparently was caused by the DC-DC converter because the bike had 12 volts activity always on (lights and dashboard) despite ignition off and key out right before it died. This happened after exposure to rain.

Anyway, I bypassed the MBB enable signal and could make the DC-DC converter work (connecting directly pin 1 to pin's 2 high voltage). I had 12 volts full activity but, evidently, not full power on the other components on the bike and couldn't ride.

So I think the DC-DC is ok and lacks the enable signal from the MBB. I also think the MBB could be responsible for the total lack of power in the bike. Could this be true?

I would like to test the MBB further. I read a USB cable to the OBD MBB diagnostics output can be built. But I'm not sure if this would work with the bike's actual lack of power. Or the cable can be powered externally? Any ideas about this?

Thank you all.

This is super helpful, I'm having a similar issue and will likely need to dig deeper.

diagram to the mbb enable signal?

I have a 2015 bike but I have a spare MBB from a 17 bike

EdgarZero

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 10:21:15 AM »

ohhaidere hi, the diagram of the DC-DC converter connectors is in this page of the unofficial manual: https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Unofficial_Service_Manual#DC-DC_12V_converter

I think the MBB needs to be from the same year as your bike since some of the hardware pin connections change from year to year and also the software programing is different. But you can give it a shot. Best of luck.
Pages: [1]