• March 28, 2024, 08:53:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Check engine light, app won't send logs, no relevant error codes  (Read 860 times)

TheRan

• View Profile
Check engine light, app won't send logs, no relevant error codes
« on: December 31, 2019, 09:36:19 PM »

As the title says, I keep getting the check engine light come on every now and then. I can't see any obvious cause, the first time it happened I thought it was because it was cold out combined with a low-ish SOC and it was warning me that power would be reduced, the next day it had gone. I've had it happen since on warmer days (still not very warm but not freezing cold either), with a higher SOC. The day before yesterday it came on again and then today it's still on (didn't ride yesterday) so figured it was time to finally figure out what's going on.

Only error codes that come up on the dash are 44 and 45 (kill switch and kickstand) and when I go to send the logs over through the app it gets to 100% and just keeps on going, got to 150% and I gave up. Tried updating the firmware on the bike and that didn't work either, it's like the bike went to sleep after about half an hour (lights went off, dash stopped flashing, flicking the light switch woke it back up but to it's regular ready-to-ride state) with no progress shown in the app. The bike seems to ride fine, at least no different to how it's always been. Power did seem reduced at some points in today's ride but I was down to like 12% SOC by the time I got home.

So, are there any other things I could try? Do these bikes have a canbus connection so I could get one of those bluetooth adaptors, and would it even show things other than the normal motorbike stuff? Is it likely to be anything serious if it's not showing an error code on the dash?

TheRan

• View Profile
Re: Check engine light, app won't send logs, no relevant error codes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 01:45:32 AM »

Okay, an update on the app. I let it get to like 200% on the motorcycle only logs (because it's quicker) and it gave me the option to email them. It showed that it was sending a .bin file to I presumed my email address (no option to change this) but upon checking my emails I instead have one from Zero customer care so I guess it sent the logs straight to them. It says they've created a Technical Case and forwarded the logs to the dealer that I bought the bike from (no idea how they know that), they're going to review the logs and then share their findings with the dealer.

I'm not really sure what to do now. The email goes on to say that the process can be sped up by answering some questions about the issue I've been having but that's just the thing, there's no issue as far as I can tell. All I wanted to do was look at the logs myself and see what the reason is for the check engine light to be coming on, I didn't realise I had to go through all this bother of dealing with customer service.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 01:54:59 AM »

FWIW there are a slew of unofficial articles on diagnostics:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Diagnostics

The idea with sending the logs is to edit the "to:" field and put your email address in there, and then upload that file once received to an online log parser like:
http://home.hasslers.net/zerologparser/

You can just perform the log export again and send them to yourself, without losing anything.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 02:24:31 AM »

Thank you for your help Brian, I didn't have an option to edit the sending address but I did manage to find the logs on my phone.

Here are the errors I've been getting. In case anyone is unable to see the image it is

SEVCON CAN EMCY Frame   Error Code:  0x3100,   Error Reg:  0x05,   Secon Error Code:  0x45C3
SEVCON CAN EMCY Frame   Error Code:  0x0000,   Error Reg:  0x01,   Secon Error Code:  0x45C3

Malfunction Indicator (Engine light) turned on because of sevcon cap voltage low and contactor closed

Am I right in thinking that is talking about a capacitor? And if so would I be right in assuming that my controller is probably fucked then?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 02:36:35 AM »

Yes, the Sevcon motor controller has capacitor banks that need to be charged up to operate correctly. The precharge circuit performs this before closing the contactor, and then it's on the same bus as the battery while the contactor is closed, so a low voltage means some kind of component degradation.

Unfortunately, yes, your best route to repair is probably a controller replacement, and those are not cheap, about $1500 for a size 6 (SR/DSR) and $1000 for a size 4 (S/DS).

I have a damaged Gen4 size 6 on hand (used for photos on the unofficial manual) and have considered repairing the capacitors that did get damaged, but I don't think anyone's seriously done that.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 02:52:50 AM »

Well that certainly sucks, luckily it's still under warranty with the dealer. What would be your opinion on still riding the bike until I can get it fixed? Is this a fault that is likely to end up stranding me with a completely non-functioning bike or even damaging other components, or is it just going to cut the power if it tries to draw too much through the controller (possibly what it has already been doing)? Like I said it still seems to ride fine (except for possibly being down on power) and has potentially had this issue since I've had the bike.

domingo3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 03:52:56 AM »

How frequently are you getting the check engine light?

I got one back in February and another last week.

I get some similar lines in the logs using Hasslers log parser:

06903     12/26/2019 04:35:40   SEVCON CAN EMCY Frame      Error Code: 0x3100, Error Reg: 0x05, Sevcon Error Code: 0x45C9, Data: 01 2F 68 20 01, Unknown
 06904     12/26/2019 04:35:41   SEVCON CAN EMCY Frame      Error Code: 0x5000, Error Reg: 0x45, Sevcon Error Code: 0x5101, Data: 05 02 03 B0 04, Unknown

But I don't get anything in the logs that mention the check engine light.  What are you using to parse your logs?

At least in my experience, the check engine light goes away after riding for a while - not sure if it's the number of re-keys or something else.  At the very least, it's annoying.  Since it's only happened to me a couple of times and gone away on it's own, I haven't taken it in.

If you're getting the check engine light frequently, then a warranty claim is probably best.  Just be aware that it may take a long time to get resolved ... or you may be lucky and it's quick.
2016 Zero FXS 2018 Zero FXS 2016 SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 04:27:00 AM »

I'd keep riding, and wait for Zero customer service and/or your dealer to weigh in on it (to both of you) before deciding what to do about these.

Sevcon errors seem to have opaquely different levels of seriousness, and I don't have a lot of experience diagnosing them.

However, the unofficial manual thankfully has a guide to interpreting the error codes. The tables are big, so you have to click on the "Expand" links in this article to see them:

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Sevcon_Controller_CAN_Diagnostics
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 04:29:56 AM by BrianTRice »

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 04:44:29 AM »

I used the parser that Brian linked to, first link on that page. The bit about the light doesn't always show up so using ctrl+f will help you find it if it is there.

Looking back through my logs it had error codes 0x4000 and 0x0000 in August a couple months before I bought the bike but no check engine light (looks to have all happened during one ride), one ABS error just after I bought it in November which I think was from me doing a burnout, error 0x3100 a week after (no light), and then the same errors I'm getting now along with the light on the 2nd, 28th, and 31st of December. I also had just the light turn on along with the cap voltage message but no error codes on the 16th of November.

I would say this is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've had the light on which tallies up with the logs, twice this month and then once or twice in November. All the other times it had gone by the next day but it seems to be sticking around this time with the error codes showing up more frequently.

I'd keep riding, and wait for Zero customer service and/or your dealer to weigh in on it (to both of you) before deciding what to do about these.

Sevcon errors seem to have opaquely different levels of seriousness, and I don't have a lot of experience diagnosing them.

However, the unofficial manual thankfully has a guide to interpreting the error codes. The tables are big, so you have to click on the "Expand" links in this article to see them:

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Sevcon_Controller_CAN_Diagnostics
Thanks. The errors from before I had the bike happened due to the motor reaching its temp limit and power was reduced (no surprise there, it was a demo bike). Interestingly it got up to 99c but I thought the 11kw models like mine had a lower threshold around 80c. The Sevcon Error Code: 0x45C3 (always stays the same) that I've been getting is due to low voltage, the 0x3100 code also pertains to voltage, and then the 0x0000 is just an error code reset.

06903     12/26/2019 04:35:40   SEVCON CAN EMCY Frame      Error Code: 0x3100, Error Reg: 0x05, Sevcon Error Code: 0x45C9, Data: 01 2F 68 20 01, Unknown
 06904     12/26/2019 04:35:41   SEVCON CAN EMCY Frame      Error Code: 0x5000, Error Reg: 0x45, Sevcon Error Code: 0x5101, Data: 05 02 03 B0 04, Unknown

Your 0x3100 0x45C9 error is due to low motor voltage, 0x5000 0x5101 is "Device Hardware: Line Contactor o/c", I assume that stands for over current.
Pages: [1]