• April 27, 2024, 09:01:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FX ABS removal  (Read 323 times)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
FX ABS removal
« on: January 11, 2020, 12:50:26 AM »

I have a 2017 FX and would like to remove the ABS unit.  Has anyone done this before or know what the problems or difficulties might be?  I searched the forum and found a few relevant posts but nothing about actually removing it.  There is an electronic module that appears to be part of the ABS.  I wonder if the bike will function as usual with it unplugged.  It seems so, since it runs the same with the ABS fuse removed.

There is a rubber mounted bolt holding the unit on the front and something else rubber mounted on the bottom which is very difficult to see.  With the bolt on the front removed, it feels like the bottom attachment may just be pressed onto a rubber fitting but I don't want to force it just yet.  Maybe the battery needs to come out to see the bottom better ...

I have a left side master cylinder lever and would purchase new brake lines.  I want to do other thing to make it more off-road capable but don't want to go ahead and then find out removing the ABS disables the bike in some way.

Appreciate any advice or experience others may have.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
Update: FX ABS removal
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 03:59:25 AM »

I disconnected the ABS connector and the bike seems to behave as normal, i.e., I think it is the same as removing the fuse.

Removing the ABS unit is difficult.  Beginning in 2017, the FXs have the long brick battery, which "As of 2017, XMX platform models (FX/FXS/FXP) are assembled by default with a Long Brick 6.5kWh pack that cannot be easily swapped or removed; it is bolted into the frame."

I can't see how to access the bottom bolt of the ABS unit without removing the battery.  So, I'll have to dig and check around further, but I may just leave it in there.
Pages: [1]