• April 25, 2024, 02:12:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Android App  (Read 360 times)

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Android App
« on: January 11, 2020, 08:51:36 PM »

This is actually an old problem but I'm just getting around to discussing it now.  This is in regards to the Android app for the previous generation (non-SR/F) bikes.  I do have the latest version (it came out several months ago so it's not new) and my S is up to the latest software.

Sometimes the app pairs up immediately when I start the app, and there are other times when it takes FOREVER.  First I have to wait for it to detect the bike.  THEN I have to tap the display once the bike has been found and wait for it to pair up and that can sometimes take up to two or three minutes. 

There are times when I simply shut down the app and restart it and it'll pair up immediately and there are other times when it just goes into the same damn wait state.  Has anyone found a sure fire way to just get the thing to pair up right away?
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: Android App
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:03:38 PM »

This is actually an old problem but I'm just getting around to discussing it now.  This is in regards to the Android app for the previous generation (non-SR/F) bikes.  I do have the latest version (it came out several months ago so it's not new) and my S is up to the latest software.

Sometimes the app pairs up immediately when I start the app, and there are other times when it takes FOREVER.  First I have to wait for it to detect the bike.  THEN I have to tap the display once the bike has been found and wait for it to pair up and that can sometimes take up to two or three minutes. 

There are times when I simply shut down the app and restart it and it'll pair up immediately and there are other times when it just goes into the same damn wait state.  Has anyone found a sure fire way to just get the thing to pair up right away?
I have had the exact same issues, but it is much worse on some brand or model phones than others. Some will run the app but not connect or pair at all to the bike. I also would like to know if anybody's has worked perfectly every time--or reasonably close to such.

My Samsung Galaxy J1 has worked reasonably  well, but still not always perfectly, but very tolerable. Perhaps all of us have noticed at least some flakiness with the Zero app, such as "unknown Zero Model found" or a need to try twice to get it to work correctly or whatever. My phone works around 90% of the time on the very first try to connect and work properly with the Zero app.  If yours works less than 50% of the time, try a different phone, such as the Galaxy J1 mentioned above. They are fairly cheap. Less than fifty bucks.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 02:50:53 AM »

I have a Galaxy S10.  When I first installed the app it worked perfectly every time.  Now, despite no updates to the app (and one update to the bike that didn't change anything in this regard) I'm seeing the behavior I originally described.  Frustrating.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:19:22 AM »

I have a Galaxy S10.  When I first installed the app it worked perfectly every time.  Now, despite no updates to the app (and one update to the bike that didn't change anything in this regard) I'm seeing the behavior I originally described.  Frustrating.
Could it be Bluetooth interference that made the change? 

A simple test is to go for a ride to a different area and try to see if it works better with the bike. If you're in a busy city, try to get a distance from the city (or underground somewhere) and try to see if it works better. New interfering signals can come on every day in some areas. Such as right where I am here on the top of a hill in Reno.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 03:56:45 AM »

I've always seen that behavior.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 08:17:01 PM »

Could it be Bluetooth interference that made the change? 

A simple test is to go for a ride to a different area and try to see if it works better with the bike. If you're in a busy city, try to get a distance from the city (or underground somewhere) and try to see if it works better. New interfering signals can come on every day in some areas. Such as right where I am here on the top of a hill in Reno.

I suppose that's possible but the phone pairs up immediately with my helmet headset every time, even when I'm standing by the bike.  I don't turn on the helmet headset until AFTER the phone has already paired with the bike, so I know it isn't the helmet that is interfering with the bike.

Most of the time when I activate the bluetooth on the phone, it only shows the devices to which it has already been paired.  Once in a great while I'll see an unfamiliar device, but not often.  This happens both at home in my garage, and in the parking lot of my office.  I'll try some experimentation and see if I can detect a pattern.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: [1]