• April 25, 2024, 12:22:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tank grip locations  (Read 719 times)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Tank grip locations
« on: January 14, 2020, 06:34:32 AM »

So Zero doesn't seem to be selling them anymore, somI'm getting generic ones.

I'm wondering on placement, though.  It seems that the frame bar under the tank is where my knees spend most of their time for gripping, so I think I should put some there.

I'm new at this, so I'm open to input.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Tank grip locations
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 06:48:42 AM »

How do you know Zero doesn't sell them any more? Here's AF1 Racing's listing for the TechSpec fitment for the S/SR:
https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=92940&sku=ZM10-08125&description=Zero+MC%27s+Tank+Grips+by+Techspec+S%2FSR+%2D+ZM10%2D08125

PN: ZM10-08125 for the S/SR
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:50:04 AM »

Generally, any tank grips should be applied on the rear sides of the tank. Zero S/SR and DS/DSR tanks have obvious flat areas right there where the TechSpec grips apply.

Before that fitment existed, I bought BMW R1200GS tank grips and cut them to fit my DSR.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 07:54:48 AM »

Because when I searched parts on AF1, those didn't show up.

Also, my knees don't completely reach the curve of the tank.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »

You just want them on the flat part underneath the lip, easier to fit that way too as you don't need to follow any tight curves. R&G sells universal sheets that you can cut to size and they come in clear too. That reminds me I need to do mine some time, forgot I even bought the sheets months ago.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 03:12:11 PM »

That's where and what I was thinking.
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »

Because when I searched parts on AF1, those didn't show up.

Also, my knees don't completely reach the curve of the tank.

-Crissa

Not sure why you couldn't find them, but Brian did provide a link to the listing.  And you want them mounted at the REAR of the "tank," not up by the curve.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:36:22 PM »

If you want to go cheap, or to try different sizes and locations for the pads, you can go to your local variety store and pick up a roll of clear shelf lining plastic and cut to shape.  It has a peel-off sticking compound that is removable and doesn't leave any residue.  I have used this stuff in the past to protect lower painted fairings from rock dings, rear side panels from being scuffed by throw-over soft luggage, to protect against belt buckle scuffing on the tank and (of course) as a tank knee protector.  Its only failing is that it will not cover a compound curve very well and does not provide the rough service grip as does a quality rubber tank knee pad.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 12:44:54 AM »

Not sure why you couldn't find them,
Because they didn't show up when I searched for parts for my bike.  And they're no longer on Zero or Techspec's sites.

And you want them mounted at the REAR of the "tank," not up by the curve.
And when I lean or stand up, my knees don't quite make it to the plastic.  I get where they go.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 12:47:02 AM »

I don't think anyone can get their knees against Zero's S or DS tank plastics. Thigh area grips work fine for me.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 01:49:11 AM »

The rubber 'snake skin' grips would make it stick out a little more, and if I were leaning off the bike, that's maybe where my thigh would be.  But I need them for slow-speed maneuvers before I master high-speed.

Still, I marked the AF1 link and put it into my next order.  I have some smaller 2" strips that should arrive today!

^-^

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 05:33:15 AM »

Techspecs got back to me:  And linked to them on AF1Racing ^-^

I ended up ordering them with my brake parts.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 05:56:29 PM »

I am thinking that those tank grips would be a good add on because I usually put my knees on that zone. Can you please comment how they work? Did you notice any improvement?

Also the tank plastic is very very easy to scratch, specially with jeans, so I think this will protect a little. Thanks!
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 02:49:56 AM »

You can see my grip locations in this post:  https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9890.msg88839#msg88839

I do think the standard grips are insufficient, but they look really nice on the colored tanks.  My pads on the sides do the most of the work.  Getting them straight is... Not easy, but they'll wear out like tires eventually.  I went with their shark-skin style ones and I have to grip and ungrip my knees to reposition, and sometimes my pads get caught when I jump on, but... I think that's actually better.  My cornering is much more secure now.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

nnelson65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 02:58:05 AM »

Oh, looking at this post makes me realize that I met you at Re-Cycle on Sunday (I have the orange DS that was there)...it was great to meet you, and I really like the grip pads that you added to the frame of your bike!

-Nate

You can see my grip locations in this post:  https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9890.msg88839#msg88839

I do think the standard grips are insufficient, but they look really nice on the colored tanks.  My pads on the sides do the most of the work.  Getting them straight is... Not easy, but they'll wear out like tires eventually.  I went with their shark-skin style ones and I have to grip and ungrip my knees to reposition, and sometimes my pads get caught when I jump on, but... I think that's actually better.  My cornering is much more secure now.

-Crissa
Pages: [1] 2