• April 27, 2024, 06:09:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F Standard vs Premium - which to choose and why?  (Read 758 times)

jbtx

• View Profile
SR/F Standard vs Premium - which to choose and why?
« on: January 20, 2020, 10:32:39 AM »

New member first post. I’ve owned a few different zeros. I always historically purchased the smallest lightest battery versions possible. I ride these bikes for my short work commute and for fun on weekends. To me, the killer version of these 300lbs ish configurations is that they are so easy to ride, flickable, with storage etc. I never come close to using all the range. I just plug them in at night.

I do want the SR/F for the look, new tech, etc. I’m buying one. My instinct is to buy the ABSOLUTE lightest version - Standard at 485 lbs. However, I suppose 13lbs more is not much for the Premium. I don’t mind spending the extra money, but it seems to me that the bar ends, windscreen, and heated grips are not priorities for me. Nor is the added charging capability. Just curious of others have gone through this decision?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: SR/F Standard vs Premium - which to choose and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 10:46:31 AM »

First welcome aboard.
I have to say that sounds like a bit of a jump but you only live once so enjoy yourself.
To me the real difference is the extra charging.  The other bits are just extra in my mind.
If your ever at a level 2 station just seems a waste not to get the full 6kw.
If you feel it's just never going to be a need for you then get the one for you.

Off topic:
I keep hoping Zero will upgrade their X bikes soon but that's just me wishing.

Also I don't know where your at but there is (maybe was) a blue premium for sale in San Diego in the forum for sale section sub $19k used.
A dealer here in GA has a red standard for under $18k.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:53:15 AM by NEW2elec »

jbtx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I do ride larger motorcycles and I am an experienced rider. So it won’t be a jump to move to this bike. But to your point, I do wish they offered the S/RF with a bit lighter weight battery version and more storage, I will be all over that.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »

As NEW2elec said, the difference is basically the charging as all the other stuff can be added later (although it's not stuff you want). You say you've never run out of charge before and an SR/F is going to get you at least double the range that you're used to. It (the standard version) will also charge in the same amount of time (well, a little bit quicker) assuming you're not limited to 110v, but even if you are and it's going to take 8 hours you're already used to charging overnight. Also if you are in a 110v country the Premium won't charge any faster from a regular mains outlet.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 10:07:22 PM »

I have the premium and I've test ridden and seen the non premium. It's hard to notice the difference in weight.

The fly screen is nice but not worth the extra cash. The heated grips aren't that great so if you're really into heated grips you'll find better options after market (oxford). The handlebar weights... just added bling bling, this motor doesn't need them since there is so little vibration going on.

The extra charger can be added afterwards. So you could go for the standard version and if you ever change work/home or for another reason need that extra 3kW charging you can still have it upgraded. It'll cost you around the same, you just won't have the other "extra's".
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 03:55:58 AM »

I have the premium and I've test ridden and seen the non premium. It's hard to notice the difference in weight.

The fly screen is nice but not worth the extra cash. The heated grips aren't that great so if you're really into heated grips you'll find better options after market (oxford). The handlebar weights... just added bling bling, this motor doesn't need them since there is so little vibration going on.

The extra charger can be added afterwards. So you could go for the standard version and if you ever change work/home or for another reason need that extra 3kW charging you can still have it upgraded. It'll cost you around the same, you just won't have the other "extra's".
Another option would be to get the standard model and then add the charge tank and have as much as 9KW charging, which is higher than most J1772's can handle. Is the charge rate adjustable adjustable on the SR/F as it is on my Tesla and Energica? If it can be set and you have the charge tank, set it below 7 KW to be safe. There are a few free J-stations that can only do 5.5 KW, but most can do 7KW.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 03:53:42 PM »

No I haven't seen any options to set the charge rate. You can delay it and set a max target SOC but no limit in kW on the bike. On the 220V adapter you can pick what rate (with a max of 3kW) to charge at.

I don"t have the charge tank option though but I can't imagine that changes anything
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 01:32:18 AM »

J1772 stations advertise their maximum current rate on the pilot signal of the J1772 connector, and the SR/F listens to this pilot signal and limits its current draw to what the J1772 station advertises. So there is absolutely no need for a limiting rate if using J1772 stations.

The same goes for the type 2 mannekes version of the SR/F we have here in Europe. The signaling is exactly the same. The EVSE signals the maximum current and the SR/F limits the current drawn from the EVSE.

As Don already explained most J1772 stations can do between 5.5 and 7 kW. The premium version can make better use of these stations at 5.8 kW total, versus the standard version which can only draw 2.9 kW.
For the premium : if the SR/F would be at 20% you can get back up to 70% in just an hour

Getting the rapid charger module would not seen sensible to you as you would lose the "tank" storage compartment, forcing you to use a topcase, side cases or a backpack. All of which ruin the beautiful look of the bike :)

BTW my dealer told me also that you can always add the second charger and even the second charger AND the rapid charger afterwards but obviously it would cost more as the wiring harness of the chargers need to be replaced.

Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 05:20:00 AM »

J1772 stations advertise their maximum current rate on the pilot signal of the J1772 connector, and the SR/F listens to this pilot signal and limits its current draw to what the J1772 station advertises. So there is absolutely no need for a limiting rate if using J1772 stations.
Yes, I have heard that also, but does that include the oldest J-1772 stations? Was the communications part of the J-1772 standard from the beginning?  I was thinking many, if not most of them didn't have any communications, but I heard at least the newer ones did. Or was it just that some older bikes ignored it, but it was always there?

-Don- 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:21:58 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

reini

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 10:51:45 AM »

Yes, I have heard that also, but does that include the oldest J-1772 stations? Was the communications part of the J-1772 standard from the beginning?  I was thinking many, if not most of them didn't have any communications, but I heard at least the newer ones did. Or was it just that some older bikes ignored it, but it was always there?
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#Signaling signalling was part of the standard since 2001.
Energica SS9+

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 11:16:02 AM »

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#Signaling signalling was part of the standard since 2001.
Thanks for that info.  I am glad it is not required to turn on a J-1772 or I would have a problem the way I charge my 2017 SR  at 6.4 KW while on the road.

I recall many people would "trip" J-1772 stations by having too many chargers on their older  Zero models.

-Don-  in rainy Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 01:20:52 PM »

They trip the station by using a non-standard J-plug that doesn't know the actual pull of the chargers behind it.  The set ups with iec splitters don't know the actual draw of the chargers behind it.

That actual J-chargers are supposed to do this automatically, as that's part of the triggering signal in the J-plug.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: [1]