• April 25, 2024, 05:41:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CF13-CF14 blinker relay  (Read 1478 times)

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
CF13-CF14 blinker relay
« on: January 22, 2020, 02:51:07 AM »

Hi all,

The zero manual seems to have conflicting info for the blinker relay for MY2018 and up.

Here:

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Turn_Signal_Flasher

it states:
"Look at the pins with the middle L (load) pin on top.
2018+: The orientation should be E- (left), L (center), then B+ (right)
Most off the shelf relays are oriented with E-, L, then B+, and should connect without modifications."

This seems to me as a description for a CF14 type relay.

But a few lines later it states:

"The common CF13 relay orientation is appropriate for MY 2018+"

So maybe this needs fixing? I want to acquire a relay but I want to buy the correct one without first having to open the bike up to check which one it actually is?

2019 Zero S 11kw - 2020 SR/S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: CF13-CF14 blinker relay
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 04:07:48 AM »

Maybe left and right aren't labeled the way you're thinking of.

The article (I wrote) cites EMF threads with people investigating their bikes, and you can take issue with whatever the conclusion is or find where something was switched up or confused, but I don't see the issue.

FWIW I had a 2013 DS and 2016 DSR, so didn't get my hands on a post-2017 model to check this detail myself. But I did replace my relay and IIRC I swapped my leads to match CF13 because that's what I could find in my local auto parts store.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 01:08:22 PM »

I understand, and I do not want to step on anyones toes.

The first part states to look at the pins (so looking  at the bottom of the relay)  with the L pin on top, then E(-) should be left and B(+) should be right.

When i check this on google images relays with this configuration they are CF14.

So I’m just confused and want to be sure which one to get. I will probably dig into my bike to be sure but that kind of defeats the purpose of the zeromanual?

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »

I understand, and I do not want to step on anyones toes.

The first part states to look at the pins (so looking  at the bottom of the relay)  with the L pin on top, then E(-) should be left and B(+) should be right.

When i check this on google images relays with this configuration they are CF14.

So I’m just confused and want to be sure which one to get. I will probably dig into my bike to be sure but that kind of defeats the purpose of the zeromanual?

Not at all! The zeromanual is made of this type of effort. How else could we possibly amass knowledge with a tight-lipped OEM?

Anyway, take a photo or notes of your plug and order what you think is right, test it and let us know your findings.

I'm definitely willing to change it once I discover a transcription or other error. It would just help a lot for someone to get physical confirmation.

And furthermore, I'd do it myself, but my DSR was totaled several months ago so I'm trying to be more careful than average about what I write.

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 11:05:13 PM »

So I just bought both versions...

So, I still think when looking at the labels of these units the manual is wrong?

Anyway, can anyone tell me if I need to remove the tank or seat to find the original relay on a 2019 S? I have a charge tank so I hope it is still easily accessible.

pacificcricket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 11:54:06 PM »

On 2014 DS CF14 was the correct relay. CF13 worked too, but E / B contacts had to be swapped. To access plastic cowlings had to be removed.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 05:25:25 AM »

To replace the flasher, you'll need to remove the seat and then the tank. It's under the neck of the frame in the front of the tank area. If you have a Charge Tank or Power Tank, you'll either have to remove those to access it, or try reaching it from underneath in front of the frame (with the tank removed).

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Turn_Signal_Flasher shows a photo of where it is once uncovered.

The 12V accessory socket install covers how to get at that area, and I might adapt it for this:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/SDS_Platform/12V_Accessory_Socket_Kit_Install

I see how the C13/C14 confusion seems to have happened. I'll update it once you confirm which relay operates correctly with your bike, thanks.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 06:58:56 AM »

In mine, the signal relay was in a little box taped to the wiring harness and kinda hard to get at.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 07:13:09 AM »

Well, here's a procedure. It's a little rough; I'll figure out whether we have some reasonably good photos to include:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/SDS_Platform/Turn_Signal_Flasher_Replacement

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 11:46:41 PM »

Thank you Brian!!

Lifting my charge tank will be stressy :) I'll post something when I finally get around doing it.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 11:52:27 PM »

Ah. I guess I’ll try to verify the plug detail sooner, then, since I’m trying to acquire a new bike this week. Good luck.

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 12:29:48 AM »

ooh :) Succes with your new bike!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 04:35:36 AM »

Okay, so the pin orientation descriptions were flipped, and I've fixed that, although thankfully I can physically confirm that CF14 works for 2013-2017 and CF13 works for 2018+ models.

I also updated the article to list the relay model I found on my 2020 which makes no noise. It may not be LED ready, but we'll try to find that out, I'm sure.

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »

Normally if all goes well I will tackle the change of relays this weekend. My 2019 original relay is also very silent. It still makes noise but very little. The new one will be much more nosier.

NervEasy

• View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 09:20:37 PM »

Soooo, that's done. But man... I do not recommend doing this if you have a Chargetank installed.

So first interesting fact, the CF13 relais does not work, the CF14 does however. So that is weird as I expected the CF13 to work since my bike is from juli 2019. So something to note in the unofficial manual?

Glad I got both the CF13 and the CF14 so I could switch until one worked.

You have to unbolt the Chargetank and balance it out of the way on the frame so you have enough room for your had to wriggle in the tight spot under the wishbone. I just disconnected the connector and left the old relais in place. Put some dielectric grease on the pins of the old one so they don't corrode and it will still work when I want to switch back. There is enough room for the new relais to tuck away and zip-tie it secure. Also used enough grease on the contacts. On of the contacts of the plug was sliding back in its slot however. Not a super quality plug... and a pain to fix in the tight spot.

Also the new Chargetank looks completely different than the old one. Not that big, small fans on the back (never heard them when charging though). It is heavy and secured with a bracket and 2 long rods that hook in the frame on the side.
Pages: [1] 2