• April 27, 2024, 09:50:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Heidenau K73 sumo tires on FXS  (Read 729 times)

ieism

• View Profile
Heidenau K73 sumo tires on FXS
« on: January 24, 2020, 12:47:20 AM »

After a few months of terrible weather and a few close call with the stock tires, I've decided to swap them for some softer compound Supermoto tires. I'm posting it here because pretty much everyone said it wouldn't fit or work. I called with Germany to check rim sizes for the tire, as it only comes in 160/60 17 and they were very helpfull. They said the front would fit but the rear rim was a quarter inch too narrow.

The bike shop told me it would not fit, and zero told me the Abs would not work with larger tires.
I decided to take the gamble anyway, as conditions are so slick here that I'm spinning the rear tire going straight sometimes at 60% torque settings.

Good news, not only does it fit without cutting anything the Abs also works. The tire does not look that deformed at all and has a nice round profile still. The steering feels a little bit slower to tip in, the tire also feels heavier in the front especially. Bit grip on cold wet roads is much much better. My commute is only 10 minutes so I had trouble getting the pirelli corsas up to temperature.

I do not recommend messing with your bike as it's probably not safe or legal in your country, so disclaimer if you crash and die its not my fault. I just wanted to post that this does fit as there are not many other Supermoto tires for our bikes out there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:16:19 AM by ieism »

ieism

• View Profile
Re: Heidenau K73 sumo tires on FXS
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 12:48:06 AM »

ieism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 12:53:03 AM »

Dear lord it's hard to attach a picture here..  :-\

ieism

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 01:14:40 AM »

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 03:28:32 AM »

You can add more than one image (up to 4), click the yellow text that says "more attachments" under where you choose the file to upload.

Couldn't you have gone for the K66/68/80? Those are the same size as the stock tyres. How's the clearance with the wider tyres? Looks tight on the front, and I think with newer bikes with the wider drive belt (2016 and newer?) the tyre can get close to that when going wider than stock.

ieism

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »

I cannot upload above 600kb and my phone takes huge photos.

The bike is actually a 2019, it fits easy. Yes you can get other heidenau tires in the stock size, but I wanted these because a lot of Supermoto rider rave about them and I wanted a wider front anyway.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 08:16:54 PM »

Conti Attack Supermoto tires 110/70-17 front and 140/70-17 rear. Those look like rain tires. If so they may not last too long on dry pavement. What size is the front 120? That should fit.

ieism

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 01:45:01 PM »

They are rain tires, it's been raining endlessly here. I'm not too worried about wear, I won't be riding them hard long enough to overheat them untill about June and then I might swap them back.

ieism

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »

Update:As expected, these offer a lot more grip in low temp and wet conditions than the stock tires.

It's really a night an day difference, I can push the bike much harder without it sliding unexpected.

I do mostly very short rides, and there is no need for this tire to warm up as it's already quite soft. I'm not sure if I'll switch back to normal tires in the summer, they seem fine in the dry and ill accept the faster wear if it gives me grip and the ability to do some dirt roads too.

Yamanatc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 06:24:32 AM »

Heidenau tires run true to size, which is narrower than most popular brands. I run the Heidenau race compounds on TZ Yamaha road race bikes, and its easier to drag a knee than to get them to drift. The track Heidenaus wear more like a street tire, and better than Pirelli Rosso Corsas. I swear by 'em, not at 'em.
Most Recent:
'74 TZ750
'69 TD2
'62 TD1A
'58 Goldstar
'55 YA-1
Coming Soon:
'18 SR

BonkSolar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 08:09:01 PM »

Awesome, just ordered them. Thanx for the post!
Pages: [1]