• April 23, 2024, 02:17:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: SR/F Apple Watch app  (Read 459 times)

remmie

• View Profile
SR/F Apple Watch app
« on: January 25, 2020, 03:52:47 AM »

Using the info from this excellent thread about the API for the connected features of the SR/F :

https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9520.0

I thought : why not try to make a iPhone or even better a Apple Watch app to get the data from the API to :
* See the SOC of the SR/F when it's charging, either at home on the couch or at a restaurant while charging on a trip.
* See the time it takes to get to the charge target set on the bike (also available from the API)
* See on a map where the bike is according to the API and if pressed on the map go there by foot or car  :o (?)

Now I've never made an iPhone or Watch app. I do have some experience with an Arduino and can bus and Office VBA programming so the learning curve for Xcode and the swift programming language was pretty steep. But with searching on the internet and some borrowed code from Hans2183's app ZeroNG  (available for iOs and Android, THANKS HANS!) I succeeded in making an Apple Watch app with some basic buttons displaying SOC, charge time left, Plugged in or not, charging or not and the street and city information and a map. All using info from the API. All I have to do is enter the username and password which is the same as the ones you enter into the official zero app. It then gets the unit number and with those three you can get the SOC, chargetime, plugged in, charging etc.

So if publishersd it would be usable for all SR/F owners (Sorry not for S/DS/SR/DSR/FS/FX/etc as they are not "effortlessly connected").
I still have to investigate how to get it into the apple App Store and get it approved, but I would like to know if SR/F owners would be interested in this app ? (providing I can get it approved by apple). And off course the app will be free of charge

It should work on all apple watches with watchOS 6 which is available for series 1,2,3,4 and 5 so only the very first series of watches is out. It should also work OK on 38, 40, 42 or 44 mm watches.

I personally have set the watch settings so that an active app stays "On / in the foreground" for 1 hour instead of 2minutes or 15 seconds (see watch settings). That way when I lift my wrist the app updates the data every 1 minute and vibrates shortly  when done. The Apple Watch either uses the iPhone data connection or if equipped with its own sim-card obviously its own data plan.

I haven't used the app much because it's too cold (for me) or too wet to ride the bike (I have a fairly short commute and own a car and no traffic jams on the commute) so it basically has been a winter project. So there should be some bugs in the app but the basics seem to work nicely.
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

remmie

• View Profile
Re: SR/F Apple Watch app
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 04:00:49 AM »

Here some photos of the app in real life action. What I've seen is that the SOC (State of charge does not get updated if not charged but the 12V value is getting updated about every 2 hours when not charging.

When charging the values get updated about every minute.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 04:14:56 AM by remmie »
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 05:29:19 AM »

That is very nice. My Apple Watch is still broken from my accident, but I use it for turn-by-turn wrist navigation while riding, so it justifies itself by letting me navigate with my eyes on the road.

If/once I upgrade to the new platform, I'd be glad to use this to check charging status, etc.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MrBlc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 02:48:30 PM »

Even though i don't have a SR/F, i love what you've done.
It's efforts like this that keeps me coming back here over and over.
Keep up the good work Remmie! :)

PaulZero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »

Hi,

I would be interested in the Apple Watch App if it is not already published?  I think it would be handy at work or in a cafe (although neither of those are too frequent at present).
As long as it refreshes the remote request on user action (wake or button press, maybe a long press?) then I think it would be quite useful.  Good work on learning the coding to implement! 
Pages: [1]