• April 29, 2024, 07:41:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would it be possible to charge while being towed?  (Read 1226 times)

KrazyEd

• View Profile
Re: Would it be possible to charge while being towed?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 11:36:30 PM »

I think that an easier, safer way to charge while towing would be to get a 1500 to 2000 watt Pure Sine Inverter,
hard wire it to your battery / charging system on tow vehicle and use a QuiQ charger. Bike is safe(er) and then
you have AC power for other uses as well
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:39:06 PM by KrazyEd »

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 12:36:43 AM »

I think that an easier, safer way to charge while towing would be to get a 1500 to 2000 watt Pure Sine Inverter,
hard wire it to your battery / charging system on tow vehicle and use a QuiQ charger. Bike is safe(er) and then
you have AC power for other uses as well
Yeah, something like this one.

But if you're ONLY going to use it to charge a Zero,  a 240 VAC output would make more sense, as the current draw will be half and the wires to the bike can be longer with less voltage drop and will not get as warm.

In my RV, I can run my generator to charge my Zero while driving, but I normally have no need to do such.

-Don-  in rainy Auburn, CA
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:41:56 AM by DonTom »
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 01:13:51 AM »

The regen doesn't kick in below 15mph, either.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 02:16:29 AM »

The regen doesn't kick in below 15mph, either.

-Crissa
Ten MPH in 2017. I cannot say for other years. But I get some regen at 11 MPH indicated.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 09:05:24 AM »

I have had good Luck with Xantrex and Magnum Dimensions as far as pure sine inverters go.
I have had plug in Chevrolets for years and they are very particular as to being charged with an
inverter. I have tried many other Brands of Pure Sine inverters and the charger would not work.
If checking the hz. with a meter, they usually showed something different than 60HZ. Further off
than they should be. The AIMS SHOULD be a good inverter. I have not tried them. I have always
been frightened off by the " Bad " reviews. They seem to work great in the beginning, but, seem
to fail rather quickly. The PROwatt SW 2000 that I have been using for several years to power
my house ( one of many various brands in use today ) was purchased used, no idea how old it
is, still works great. It is beginning to read the voltage a little high these days.  May be because
of OLD batteries used for back up.
   I agree that if only used to charge the Zero than a 240 V would be better. however, since buying
something, I TRY to get as much use out of it as possible. I could have gotten a Solar powered
water heater, but, opted to add more panels instead. Now, I have my OLD electric water heater
heating water from panels AND a smaller refrigerator AND 120 V washer and dryer all working from
panels and batteries for a similar expenditure. If I were charging anything larger than a SMALL FX,
I would NOT use the onboard charger with an inverter that WASN'T 240 Volts. I would use a QuiQ
external. I had TOO many problems with stock chargers on my 2016. ONLY charge with QuiQ now
if using 120 Volt.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:13:17 AM by KrazyEd »

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 02:29:04 PM »

Fun test around tow-charging a Tesla:

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 12:50:13 AM »

I am really dubious about this, but have created a stub article on the unofficial wiki based on togo's experience report:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Charging_While_Towing

I will probably add a lot more warning language about this, because anyone who tries this is asking for a ton of risk that should compromise your warranty if anything goes wrong.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

motorrad36

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 01:20:26 AM »

I've done it.  I towed my 14 SR Zero, held by front wheel, from California to Arizona, and with key-on and throttle-off regen set to max, it did charge.

I will say I can't advise it, and I will not do it the same way again.  The device that holds front the wheel up is kind of sketch, and the motorcycle will tilt very alarmingly when you make turns, put a lot of stress on it.  And if you worry about clearance, and get a riser to lift the motorcycle up more, it will actually tilt all the way to where it drags when you turn.  That's the geometry of using the motorcycle's own pivot for the tow.

I kept the rear-view camera on the entire trip, and I'm glad I did.

Now, if I could find a version of the tow gadget that was less sketch, one that had its own pivot and kept the motorcycle upright through turns, maybe I'd do it again.

Any chance we could see what that setup looked like?

I am really dubious about this, but have created a stub article on the unofficial wiki based on togo's experience report:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Charging_While_Towing

I will probably add a lot more warning language about this, because anyone who tries this is asking for a ton of risk that should compromise your warranty if anything goes wrong.

I totally agree, as interesting as it is. I will wait to even try it until my warranty is out  :-X

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 07:48:28 AM »

> I am really dubious about this, ...

As am I. "I will say I can't advise it,  ... sketch..
 the motorcycle will tilt very alarmingly when you turn ...". You need more disclaimer than that?

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 08:11:58 PM »

Perhaps Zero needs to insert a "no charging while towing" warning in their owner's manual and place a warning sticker on the "gas" tank.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 07:18:56 AM »

Why, Richard?  Aren't we all going to be charging in the back of our cybertrucks soon?
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 07:47:12 AM »

Well, the Cybertruck is still a year or two out.

I mean, I do want one to carry my bike, tho!

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5
Pages: 1 [2]