• March 28, 2024, 07:57:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Momentary power interruption when leaving a stop  (Read 1178 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Momentary power interruption when leaving a stop
« on: January 29, 2020, 05:45:03 AM »

Lately I have experienced a momentary power interruption every now and then when accelerating from a stop. There is seems to be no obvious pattern to the issue, other than it happens when leaving a stop and when my speed is about 10 mph.  It happens perhaps every fifth ride and only lasts a for a fraction of a second.  I originally thought that my glove was slipping on the throttle grip and that was causing the problem.  But today I am pretty sure that my glove did not slip when it happened again. No big problem as long as it doesn't get worse. Today I was riding in light rain when it happened, but I did that yesterday and didn't experience the "glitch".  Anyone have any thoughts?   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

motorrad36

• View Profile
Re: Momentary power interruption when leaving a stop
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 05:57:56 AM »

Any error codes? Or can you pull the logs from the last few days?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 07:10:50 AM »

Any error codes? Or can you pull the logs from the last few days?

I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Curt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 07:31:42 AM »

Belt slipping maybe?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 08:58:30 PM »

Belt slipping maybe?

Not my belt. It is as tight as a drum.  Plus the interruption occurs under light throttle.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 11:07:44 PM »

Could be an intermittent kickstand switch. When it happened to my bike, I realized the red light on the dashboard was flashing when it happened. Cleaned and re-jiggered the kickstand switch and it seems fine now. It's a magnetic switch so I've given some thought to gluing a magnet to it to disable it entirely...I don't think it's very useful for experienced riders. It only happens at low speed because (fortunately) the firmware won't cut off power when you've built up any speed at all.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 05:00:37 AM »

I downloaded my logs and sent them to Zero, who responded back within two hours.  The electrical engineer that looked at the logs said that he couldn't see any issue in the logs.  No faults.  He suggested that I take my bike into my Zero dealer and let them look at it.  I doubt that would be very productive except to add a little profit to the shop's back room. 

When the problem occurred, I didn't notice any warning lights flashing, which would likely have triggered a fault in the logs, I imagine. So the momentary power interruption remains a mystery.  Hopefully it won't get any worse and pop up more frequently.  Zero did create a case number for my inquiry. Case # 00059431. I wonder if the case numbers started at "1"?

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 05:10:59 AM »

Could be an intermittent kickstand switch. When it happened to my bike, I realized the red light on the dashboard was flashing when it happened. Cleaned and re-jiggered the kickstand switch and it seems fine now. It's a magnetic switch so I've given some thought to gluing a magnet to it to disable it entirely...I don't think it's very useful for experienced riders. It only happens at low speed because (fortunately) the firmware won't cut off power when you've built up any speed at all.
It's a good idea to have it in case the throttle gets bumped and you've forgotten to hit the kill switch (more likely when you don't need to kill the engine).

Zero did create a case number for my inquiry. Case # 00059431. I wonder if the case numbers started at "1"?
Probably, mine was 00056684 from nearly a month ago. I imagine it's an automated system so it's going to increase anytime someone downloads and sends the logs, whether they actually have an issue or not. I never heard back from Zero even after I replied to their email telling them what my issue was.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 02:34:20 AM »

I downloaded my logs and sent them to Zero, who responded back within two hours.  The electrical engineer that looked at the logs said that he couldn't see any issue in the logs.  No faults.  He suggested that I take my bike into my Zero dealer and let them look at it.

When the problem occurred, I didn't notice any warning lights flashing, which would likely have triggered a fault in the logs, I imagine. So the momentary power interruption remains a mystery.  Hopefully it won't get any worse and pop up more frequently.  Zero did create a case number for my inquiry. Case # 00059431. I wonder if the case numbers started at "1"?

Did you get a copy of your logs?

The case number could be an autoincrementing ID from 0 or 1 or it could be totally different. It's hard to tell without a large sample.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 04:42:14 AM »

I downloaded my logs and sent them to Zero, who responded back within two hours.  The electrical engineer that looked at the logs said that he couldn't see any issue in the logs.  No faults.  He suggested that I take my bike into my Zero dealer and let them look at it.

The case number could be an autoincrementing ID from 0 or 1 or it could be totally different. It's hard to tell without a large sample.

I have a copy of my logs, but my new Windows 10 computer (no problem with my old Windows 7 version) won't let me open them. In any case, I figure that an electrical engineer at Zero knows more about how to read them than I would.  I might add that it took about 15 minutes to download the logs.  I bet that my eyes would glaze over trying to understand them, anyway.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 05:29:42 AM »

I have a copy of my logs, but my new Windows 10 computer (no problem with my old Windows 7 version) won't let me open them. In any case, I figure that an electrical engineer at Zero knows more about how to read them than I would.  I might add that it took about 15 minutes to download the logs.  I bet that my eyes would glaze over trying to understand them, anyway.

You don't have to be the only set of eyes that look for issues. You can publish them and get some feedback. Maybe we can learn something.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 05:44:51 AM »

Well, since you asked, here they are.  Fortunately, the log files are a lot smaller than I had expected from the time it took to download them.  Here is the MBB log.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 05:45:57 AM »

And here are two battery logs, which the Zero engineer also asked to review.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 07:51:45 AM »

Well, I've decoded the logs, but they're too large to use as forum attachments. When is a good timeframe or set of timeframes to focus on?

For reference, logs are slow to download because of (1) Bluetooth data transfer rates, (2) firmware CPU speed, and (3) for BMS logs because the data get transmitted over CAN to the MBB and then over Bluetooth.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:05:54 AM by BrianTRice »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 08:49:44 PM »

Well, I've decoded the logs, but they're too large to use as forum attachments. When is a good timeframe or set of timeframes to focus on?

For reference, logs are slow to download because of (1) Bluetooth data transfer rates, (2) firmware CPU speed, and (3) for BMS logs because the data get transmitted over CAN to the MBB and then over Bluetooth.

The power interruption occurred last Tuesday, about 8 miles after starting my ride that day.  After parking the bike for a while, I then rode back home 10 miles. Upon returning home I washed the bike and rode it around for a couple of miles to dry it off, parked it and plugged in the charger.  The next time I turned on the bike was yesterday when I downloaded the logs.
Pages: [1] 2 3