• March 29, 2024, 12:54:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vibrations on the left foot peg (dsr 2020) [UPDATED]  (Read 1065 times)

KuRi

• View Profile
Vibrations on the left foot peg (dsr 2020) [UPDATED]
« on: January 29, 2020, 04:14:15 PM »

Hi!

I have noticed some small periodic vibrations on the left footpeg of my dsr 2020. Specially at low speeds (~30-40kmh) while maintaining the throttle at a fixed position. They are something like periodic small bumps that can be felt on my left foot.

Did you notice something similar on yours?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:48:43 PM by KuRi »
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Vibrations on left foot peg (dsr 2020)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 08:46:18 PM »

There are very few things which can vibrate on a Zero.

Have you checked the belt for debris, teeth, and alignment?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 09:25:27 PM »

I am not a mechanical expert, so my tests are mostly visual and sometimes with some easy to use tools (caliper, belt tension meter, ...).

Everything looks more or less fine, but what I notice is like a periodic 'click" on mi left foot, linked to the belt running, at certain speeds (no matter if I am using the throttle or not).

Thanks.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 01:16:59 AM »

A "click" sounds different from a "vibration". Could you get the bike on a lift (rear wheel off the ground, primarily) and see about reproducing it?

A sound or video recording would be a bonus.

Offhand, it's hard to say what might be the cause from afar. The left footpeg is near the front sprocket, so there could be debris under a spot on the belt (worth clearing if you find it) or there could be a bearing issue. I'm unsure that anyone's said they felt it through the footpeg before, though.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 01:46:03 AM »

Sorry about referring to the problem as a "click"... it's that I don't know how to describe it, but it's not a sound, it's only a feeling. It happens at about 40kmh and 80kmh (more or less at the double speed, does that give you any idea?).

It feels like a small bump on the footpeg and it is cyclic, so it is related to the wheel/sprocket/bearings/belt. It is very noticeable without accelerating, keeping the speed at 40kmh.

If there were any debris on the sprocket, that would explain the symptons very well, although I don't understand why it happens only at certain speeds... but I have checked and there is no debris or dirty at the belt nor the sprocket :(

P.D: I can feel it also on the passenger's footpeg, mostly because it is directly connected to the same place.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:48:04 AM by KuRi »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 01:57:10 AM »

I assume you've checked belt tension and alignment. If there's nothing else obvious, I'd check with a dealer - a bearing issue on a new bike is very likely a defect covered under warranty.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 02:23:38 AM »

It can be a belt tension and alignment problem because I am not good enough to know it. It looks good to me, and I don't want to mess with things I don't fully understand. The dealer will check it in a few days... and I will let you know what they say, but honestly... 99% of the times they will say "this is normal", "I can't find anything wrong...", bla bla bla... a very frustrating situation I have lived with most of my bikes  :-[

Thanks for your help.

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
Re: Vibrations on the left foot peg (dsr 2020)
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 02:36:38 AM »

If you can align or re-align it; you could experiment with what it feels like at different out of spec settings - like on a stand or an around the block safe maneuver.

Every time you get to experience out of spec, the in-spec vibrations seem more normal.

And to me, a rhythmic pulse would seem like debris in the belt.  But who knows?

Do you have someone somewhere you could compare with?

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 02:40:45 AM »

A rythmic pulse! That's the best way to describe it :) And what is more important... I am almost sure the pulse was not there when I got the bike (500km ago), but who knows...

I am the only zero owner in my city! :D :D :D

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 02:45:03 AM »

There are so many things that could cause it!  Belt, motor bearing, static buildup, even a failing insulator slowly energizing a body panel like a capacitor.  You could even have an artery that's being pinched next to a nerve and you're just feeling a coefficient of your heartrate matched to the hum of your bike.

Actual but one in a bazillion things that could happen.

It's just more likely a moving part, tho.

Does anyone know of a belt tuning or audio app that could find a reoccurring thrum?  It seems like something someone should have thought of.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 02:21:11 AM »

Today I have noticed that the vibration/pulse is noticeable on both footpegs. The left one is heavier, but I can feel it on the right one too. The problem was that my foot position is different at left/right because of the brake. When using the same position as the left foot, I can notice the pulse too...

It is normal that I can feel it on both sides, because they are connected somehow :D

This is not very helpful diagnosing the problem, but just to let you know it :)

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 08:18:32 AM »

Hi!

I have noticed some small periodic vibrations on the left footpeg of my dsr 2020. Specially at low speeds (~30-40kmh) while maintaining the throttle at a fixed position. They are something like periodic small bumps that can be felt on my left foot.

Did you notice something similar on yours?

Thanks!

Recently yes on my 16 DSR with 41+k miles.
Determined it’s the/a wheel bearing(s).
If you ride in a lazy zig-jag does it intensify?
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 01:59:03 PM »

Recently yes on my 16 DSR with 41+k miles.
Determined it’s the/a wheel bearing(s).
If you ride in a lazy zig-jag does it intensify?

Hi! how did you determine it's the wheel bearings? Mine is new, 10 days of use. I am not sure if it intensifies with a small zig zag... I think it does not change too much...

ESokoloff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »

First & foremost you need to have this looked at by your dealer.

As to how I determined my issue is wheel bearing related....
There are not too many moving parts so that narrows it down quite a bit.
I can vary the intensity by varying the angle of the wheel (banked left-level-banked right).
That (to me) indicates rough bearings. 
I’m thinking while banked a certain amount of thrust (side load) is imposed on the bearings and this causes an increase in roughness.
Eric
2016 Zero DSR

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 09:07:12 PM »

The usual way to inspect a wheel bearing is to remove the wheel and rotate the bearing with your finger to feel any roughness in its operation.  However, that might be more trouble than you want to go to.  So what you could do is to raise one wheel off the ground at a time, turn it by hand and use a mechanic's stethoscope placed against the center of the wheel and listen for rough sounds.  A long screwdriver touching the wheel, with the handle against your ear will also work in a pinch.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1] 2