• April 29, 2024, 12:00:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vibrations on the left foot peg (dsr 2020) [UPDATED]  (Read 1075 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Vibrations on the left foot peg (dsr 2020)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 09:15:16 AM »

So, now that I have a 2020 DSR, I did notice a very small vibration pulse, but I noticed it both through the seat and the footpeg.

I noticed it only while coasting without regen. It could be that the motor controller is pulsing to make sure it's aligned with the motor position without actually putting too much power into it.

For what it's worth, I noticed that the white noise effect when rolling the bike around in my garage while charging is now gone. That is also a known issue where the controller would come on and apply the white noise to determine motor position for alignment. My overall guess is that someone at Zero took on the project of keeping the controller off except when necessary, for a combination of safety and energy efficiency reasons.

Does this sound like what you're experiencing, KuRi?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 01:09:48 PM »

Hi BrianTRice! Yes, it sounds something similar, but I can't feel it through the seat (I have the touring seat). I can notice it also while coasting with the minimum throttle needed to keep the speed at ~40kmh. It is not always strong enough to feel it if you don't concentrate on it, but it is always there.

BTW my bike DOES the white noise rolling the bike while charging.

Do you notice any other differences with 2016 DSR (acceleration, speed, weight?).

--
can I ask you a favor? Could you please post a pic of your belt alignment when looking at the belt from behind? Similar to the pic I posted in the belt alignment thread I create some days ago (pls post the pic in that same thread for others to have the reference also). Next week I will be bringing the bike to the dealer and I want to make sure my belt is correctly aligned.
--

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:13:22 PM by KuRi »
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 12:01:24 AM »

Hi BrianTRice! Yes, it sounds something similar, but I can't feel it through the seat (I have the touring seat). I can notice it also while coasting with the minimum throttle needed to keep the speed at ~40kmh. It is not always strong enough to feel it if you don't concentrate on it, but it is always there.

BTW my bike DOES the white noise rolling the bike while charging.

Do you notice any other differences with 2016 DSR (acceleration, speed, weight?).

Okay, I'm going to suggest that this is the hypothesis to go with for now, because your experience matches what I've noticed. I'll check my bike further to see if I can understand it better. Whatever it is, it feels intentional, like a timed pulse.

As far as changes from 2016, I'd say:
- 10% more power reported feels right.
- 10-15% more range reported seems right with my trips so far.
- The belt does feel subtly more robust.
- Range loss (from internal resistance) in the cold seems reduced, but I'm unsure by how much.
- The turn signal relay is a new component that makes no clicking noise at all! Will document soon.
- The lower front plastics now have a plastic rivet with plastic insert screw instead of the bolts, which used to lead to cracking of the plastics.

can I ask you a favor? Could you please post a pic of your belt alignment when looking at the belt from behind? Similar to the pic I posted in the belt alignment thread I create some days ago (pls post the pic in that same thread for others to have the reference also). Next week I will be bringing the bike to the dealer and I want to make sure my belt is correctly aligned.

My belt does look well-aligned. I'll post a photo while on mobile since that's easier than web/desktop...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:03:14 AM by BrianTRice »

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 11:56:02 PM »

Hi! Sorry to ask again, but after coming back from the dealer, he said that everything is normal, but the vibration is still there. It is a little bit annoying and I would like to know how many of us have noticed something similar...

My belt is completely resting on the left side of the front and rear sprocket. Dealer says that this is how it should be, but most people on this forum suggests a 1mm of space between sprockets and belt. Could this be the reason?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:04:06 AM by KuRi »

BamBam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 01:23:03 AM »

It is very easy to make the adjustment to the rear wheel alignment to get the 1mm gap, so just go ahead and do that and see if that has any affect on the pulsating you're describing.  You want to have that small gap between the belt and rear pulley anyway.
Currently Owned Bikes:
2017 Zero DSR Limited Edition (original owner, running)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (original owner, red now black, running)
1997 Honda Valkyrie (original owner, first year in black, running)
1975 Kawasaki H2 750 (original owner, purple, not running)

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 01:35:57 AM »

I have no experience with that and I have no way to lift the rear wheel... and with a 1 month old bike, I am scared :D

I know that I will end up doing it, but only when I feel more confident with what I am doing. Thanks!

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 01:54:33 AM »

Some more information, in case you can help me with the diagnosis before I visit the dealer again (there is no dealer in my city and they come only some days of the month)

The vibration/pulse is only there while the motor is engaged (throttle on or regen on), if I set the regen to 0, the vibration dissapears completely when coasting no matter the speed. This also means that I can hear the motor acting (metallic noise) when the vibrations starts. What really bothers me is that is very very noticeable when the speed is 40kmh or 80kmh. At other speeds, is harder to note (but it is also there ofc).

Can this mean that the problem is with the motor/bearins or can still be a belt tension/alignment issue?

Thanks again.
Regards.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 02:37:43 AM by KuRi »

KuRi

• View Profile
Re: Vibrations on the left foot peg (dsr 2020) [UPDATED 11-03]
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2020, 05:15:47 PM »

Sooo.... yesterday I decided to give it a try and lower the tension on the belt and try to align the rear wheel (and rear belt :D).

I think the belt was too tight. The belt was all the way to the left and after calibrating and taking some measures and decided to align the belt a little (the left side was too tight, so I loose that side a little bit more). This improved the alignment of the wheel on the front sprocket (now it has some space) but it keeps all the way to the left on the rear side. This ended in a good wheel to swingarm alignment and some less tension on the belt.

However now the bike vibrates a lot less... I only notice sporadic vibrations on the left footpeg and the low speed vibration and noise is "almost" gone.

So... my conclusion is: the Belt was too tight (and maybe the alignment was a little off also). Now it drives better and smooth.

I think it is not perfect, and surely an expert would adjust it perfectly... but at least I know that it was belt-wheel alignment related... I hope I have not screwed anything and that it won't broke anytime soon. This is the first time ever I adjust a motorcycle rear wheel.

THANKS!!! to all of you for your help and patience!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:44:06 PM by KuRi »

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Vibrations on the left foot peg (dsr 2020) [UPDATED 11-03]
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 04:41:12 AM »

Thanks; I've turned this into one of the troubleshooting symptom pages on the unofficial manual:
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Category:Footpeg_Vibration
https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Footpeg_Vibration
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:03:37 AM by BrianTRice »

KuRi

• View Profile
Re: Vibrations on the left foot peg (dsr 2020) [UPDATED]
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 01:49:06 PM »

I noticed the belt looked a little loose, and I have bought the Krikit tension tool and measured the belt tension. It was just under 20kg and I think it was a little too low.

I have raised the tension to 25kg and the vibrations are again a little more present, but I don't want to ride with a lower tension than the specs suggests. However the bike is more responsive now.

Cheers!
Pages: 1 [2]