• April 26, 2024, 04:01:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How hard to install SR/F Rapid Charging System  (Read 684 times)

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
How hard to install SR/F Rapid Charging System
« on: February 12, 2020, 04:15:21 AM »

So...  I have a deposit down on a 2020 SR/F Premium, and anticipate delivery any day now.   8)

I have in mind to add the Zero Rapid Charging System (aka Charge Tank) to this bike, for 12kw charging where available.  I found one available used at a mild discount, having been removed from another SR/F very early in its life.  I'm tempted to buy it, but it comes without instructions.  I'm not an expert mechanic, but I'm reasonably good with wrenching and wiring.  My question is, how difficult is the installation?  How obvious will it all be?  Can I just figure it out pretty easily?

Also, is any firmware update or reconfiguration of the bike required when installing this?

Thanks!  I'm sure looking forward to this bike.  :D
2020 Zero SR/F Premium, 12kW Dub-J charging (disappointed; sold)
2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES
2013 Zero FX ZF5.7 (sold)

Auriga

• View Profile
Re: How hard to install SR/F Rapid Charging System
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:55:41 AM »

The SR/F is a lot of fun, Congratulations.

The short answer is nobody really knows(outside Zero, and Zero only supports dealer installs). A couple people here have them, but nobody has tried to install it outside of a dealer. It's just too new. I'd also be extra certain you're talking about a Zero Rapid Charging System(charge tank) for the SR/F and not a 6kW charge tank, which is similar but entirely incompatible and far more common.

Unless you feel like tinkering and potentially voiding your warranty, I'd let the dealer do it.

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:48:27 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Yes, this is the correct SR/F Rapid Charger.  I didn't realize that installing it myself could jeopardize the warranty; the savings isn't worth that risk.

Can't wait to get my new baby!  8)

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 11:17:46 AM »

So...  I have a deposit down on a 2020 SR/F Premium, and anticipate delivery any day now.   8)

I have in mind to add the Zero Rapid Charging System (aka Charge Tank) to this bike, for 12kw charging where available.  I found one available used at a mild discount, having been removed from another SR/F very early in its life.  I'm tempted to buy it, but it comes without instructions.  I'm not an expert mechanic, but I'm reasonably good with wrenching and wiring.  My question is, how difficult is the installation?  How obvious will it all be?  Can I just figure it out pretty easily?

Also, is any firmware update or reconfiguration of the bike required when installing this?

Thanks!  I'm sure looking forward to this bike.  :D
Since you live in the USA, and have the 2020 SR/F Premium you will probably find that the 6 KW charging is about all you need.  Most J-1772 charge stations can do around 7KW. A few less and a few more.

To be able to use the full 12 KW charging on the road here in the USA from a J-1772 could be quite  rare.

-Don-   Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 09:35:59 PM »

Well, yes and no, DonTom.  I've been thinking I'll use Tesla destination chargers for rapid charging.  There are quite a few of those here in Colorado.  I may need to sweet-talk and bribe a few hotel concierges, but it should be doable.   :)

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:40:19 PM »

I've found that to usually work, fredx.

Better if they have more than one.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 02:59:51 AM »

Well, yes and no, DonTom.  I've been thinking I'll use Tesla destination chargers for rapid charging.  There are quite a few of those here in Colorado.  I may need to sweet-talk and bribe a few hotel concierges, but it should be doable.   :)
Yeah, most of those are at motels. But here in Reno, (and the surrounding area, such as Virginal City &  Sparks) Tesla Destination charge stations  are quite common and free for anybody to use, but I think the Reno area is an exception to the rule, and at most others elsewhere you need permission to use. And perhaps a small fee.

Of course you will need a high current Tesla-Tap. Most of these Tesla Destination charge stations are from 48 amps (11,520 watts) and up to  66 amps (15,840 watts). My Tesla Wall Connectors (same-same Tesla Destination Charge Stations) at my three houses can do the 48 amps. The one I used last at the Recharge Grill has many Tesla stations, all can do up to 16 KW. That's better than the Harley LW CCS charger. The Harley dealers I have been to can only do 15 KW with their CCS so-called "fast charge". And IIRC, the LW can only accept 12 KW.

So your Zero on Level Two will charge the same speed (12 KW) as the LiveWire on CCS (also 12 KW), if it all works as it should.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 06:39:50 AM »

> ... Of course you will need a high current Tesla-Tap. ...

Haha, that's a JDapter, different company, same idea.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

motorrad36

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 07:48:23 AM »

Can I ask what the difference is between that JDapter and this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Tesla-Charger-J1772-Adapter/dp/B07V7V2QT8

Just the amperage? Would I run any risk of this not working at a station, or damaging my charging system because it’s 40A max when the station amperage could be much higher?

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 08:33:54 AM »

The station's potential amperage has no ability to damage your bike.

The service into your house is probably a hundred or more amps, and you can plug things in that are only microamps in capacity and nothing goes wrong.

Amps is like the width of a pipe.  How much can come through it.  While volts are like the pressure in it, how hard it's flowing.  If you put a teacup in a slow moving stream, it doesn't matter if the stream is a mile wide (high amps), you'll only get a teacup of water.  If you put it in a fast-moving stream (high voltage), your teacup might break or be washed away.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 10:39:19 AM »

Can I ask what the difference is between that JDapter and this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Tesla-Charger-J1772-Adapter/dp/B07V7V2QT8

Just the amperage? Would I run any risk of this not working at a station, or damaging my charging system because it’s 40A max when the station amperage could be much higher?
Just make sure the LOAD (the bike you're trying to charge) is not higher than 40 amps (9,600 watts at 240 VAC). If you connect to a billion amp charger that is not an issue.   That will only mean you cannot draw more than that billion amps and you will only be drawing less than 40 amps as long as you do not go over 9,600 watts of charging. If you want to charge at 12,000 watts, you need to have everything rated at or above 50 amps (240VAC times 50 amps=12,000 watts).

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

fredx

• Boulder, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »

Hey all, so I received my SR/F today (yay!!!).  However, when I asked the dealer to place an order for the Rapid Charger, he told me that Zero doesn't have them available yet.  He says he's called Zero, and been told that it'll be available by the end of this quarter (end of next month), but not yet.  I was surprised, as I know some folks already have them.  Has anyone else had similar experience?

Thanks -- this is an awesome bike!

- Fred

Auriga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 12:13:25 PM »

They are definitely available. The power tank is not available yet, but the rapid charger definitely is. Maybe call/email Zero and ask for the part # or ask the dealer to make sure.

enaef

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 03:01:18 PM »

Basically available yes, but out of stock may be?
I also ordered one but was told they were out of stock in the EU-headquarter. I have no information yet, how long it takes ...

Regarding the question of how hard it is to install it; I certainly wouldn't dare to do it myself.

The video already posted in this thread https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9603.msg84922#msg84922
might help to decide?

Anyhow, my Zero-trainded dealer, who has installed three of them, said, that the task was quite demanding.
2019 Zero SR/F Premium & Rapid Charger
Pages: [1]