• April 27, 2024, 09:16:45 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2020 Zero FX 7.2 charge not staying topped off while plugged in  (Read 1214 times)

cbeng

• View Profile
2020 Zero FX 7.2 charge not staying topped off while plugged in
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:29:06 AM »

Hi there. I recently picked up a 2020 Zero FX 7.2 modular, which is just awesome.

However, I've encountered a significant inconvenience related to charging. I plug the bike into the household 110v outlet and leave it for a few days, before I unplug it, the display says 100%. After I unplug it, the SoC is immediately much lower. Sometimes 80-90%, but today it was 67% which prevented me from using the bike because I was not confident I could make my planned return trip.

Does this sound like a bug or a feature to protect long term battery health? If it is a feature, then I sure hope there is a way to control it because if I can't count on the bike to be nearly fully charged when left on the charger, then it is not very useful with such a limited maximum range.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

DonTom

• View Profile
Re: 2020 Zero FX 7.2 charge not staying topped off while plugged in
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 01:20:57 AM »

Hi there. I recently picked up a 2020 Zero FX 7.2 modular, which is just awesome.

However, I've encountered a significant inconvenience related to charging. I plug the bike into the household 110v outlet and leave it for a few days, before I unplug it, the display says 100%. After I unplug it, the SoC is immediately much lower. Sometimes 80-90%, but today it was 67% which prevented me from using the bike because I was not confident I could make my planned return trip.

Does this sound like a bug or a feature to protect long term battery health? If it is a feature, then I sure hope there is a way to control it because if I can't count on the bike to be nearly fully charged when left on the charger, then it is not very useful with such a limited maximum range.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Is there a way to check the battery voltage on an app or some other method?  I am not familiar with the FX, but I can tell you that you want to see the battery voltage when you unplug to really know what is going on. SOC doesn't tell you much.  The  true battery voltage tells it all.

Perhaps the voltage is dropping too much when you remove the charger. Sounds like it could be a battery problem.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 01:56:44 AM »

That's clearly not normal. Mine (dsr 2020) stays at 100% for a whole 24h after charge (I think it would stay even more, but I use the bike every day). Check the logs for battery voltage and contact dealer asap... Good Luck!
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 03:04:06 AM »

There is a "feature" mentioned in the manual where if you leave the bike plugged in after it has gotten to 100% after a a certain amount of time it will discharge it down to 90% and then recharge back to 100%, then discharge and recharge and so on. They don't say what the intended purpose is of doing this and they don't mention how long it needs to be left plugged in for it to occur. They do also say that it's not best to leave it plugged in, so perhaps the discharge cycle is a method to preserve battery health.

I don't know why you would leave it plugged in for days on end, the state of charge drops so slowly and if you absolutely need every last bit of range just plug it in for like half an hour before you leave.

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 04:16:24 AM »

I had a similar problem and it turned out one of my batteries was iffy. Replaced under warranty High Plains Drifter style, no charge.

cbeng

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »

Thank you all for your advice so far. I plugged it back in, it went up to 100%, but the check engine light is on (bike still runs). Battery said 115v. I emailed the logs to Zero using the app and it started a customer support ticket, so we'll see how it goes and I'll post another update here.

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 09:01:54 AM »

In the meantime, if you want you can have a look at the logs yourself (or someone here might help). They'll be saved on your phone at Android/data/com.ZeroMotorcycles/files/ and you can upload them to the parser below:

https://zero-motorcycle-community.github.io/browser-parse/zero-log-parser.html

https://zeromanual.com/wiki/Logs

cbeng

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 10:46:40 PM »

Thanks for the log parsing link. I parsed the log, but it was all Greek to me :)

The dealer and Zero support collaborated and found that each battery brick is ok, but the mbb needs to be replaced under warranty, so now I'm waiting for that part to arrive.

alko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 11:00:33 PM »

I dont believe leaving it plugged in for days on end is recommended by zero. But im sure it has nothing to do with your problem being such a new bike. Id call zero.

Basejumper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 03:17:05 PM »

Thanks for the log parsing link. I parsed the log, but it was all Greek to me :)

The dealer and Zero support collaborated and found that each battery brick is ok, but the mbb needs to be replaced under warranty, so now I'm waiting for that part to arrive.

Hi cbeng,

I have exactly the same problem at the moment. What was the problem/cause in the end?

Cheers,
Geert

cbeng

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 08:56:07 PM »

Hi cbeng,

I have exactly the same problem at the moment. What was the problem/cause in the end?

Cheers,
Geert

Hi Geert, The dealer did replace the mbb under warranty. That seemed to have solved the main issue of the SoC dropping immediately when the bike is unplugged.

I've had some issues with the battery not staying at 100% while plugged in for a long time, but I think it's only a problem when i leave the key in or plug it in before taking the key out.

I think a visit to the Zero dealer is your best bet. But perhaps if you pull the logs as mentioned in this thread, another more knowledgeable forum member can help assess the logged issue, or an email to Zero.

Best of luck to you.

- Corey
Pages: [1]