• April 25, 2024, 10:50:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Have you had any major issues with your Zero requiring service?

No problems, other than standard maintenance
- 17 (43.6%)
Minor problems, fixed fairly easily by myself or at dealer
- 13 (33.3%)
Major problems, or took forever to get fixed. Bad experience with Zero support, etc.
- 9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: March 27, 2020, 09:59:57 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Any problems with your modern Zero?  (Read 7459 times)

valnar

• View Profile
Any problems with your modern Zero?
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:59:57 PM »

I know most people tend to only post issues and not "everything is good", so I thought I'd take a poll.  I'm mostly concerned with the more modern 2016+ Zeros and those still under warranty.

--= Have you had any significant problems with your Zero? =--

I'm trying to get a feel if 50% of the owners complain here, or just the mere 5%.   ;)

All of the motorcycle reliability surveys that place the Japanese bikes at the top don't include the electric manufacturers.

-Robert
Zero FXS 2020

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Any problems with your modern Zero?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:52 PM »

Only issue I had was the rubber backing on the drive belt started delaminating around 9,000 miles.  I did NOT consider that "normal wear and tear" but was told the belt is specifically not covered by the warranty.  I still insist it was a manufacturing defect but Zero doesn't seem to see it that way so I had to pay for the replacement belt out of my own pocket.

Please note that my current Zero is the fifth belt-driven bike I've owned (and the second Zero) and this is the first time I ever had an issue with a drive belt.  My 2016 S had 16,000 miles on the original belt and was still as good as new when the bike was totaled in an accident by an inattentive jackass driving an Audi back in 2018.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

TireFryer426

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 10:28:20 PM »

Zero issues with my SR/F so far.

DonTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 10:56:40 PM »

With my 2017 SR, I had to replace the front sensor for the ABS. When this happened, the bike was still in warranty but I paid for the part and fixed it myself anyway because  it is easier than dealing with a dealer.

My 2017 DS ZF 6.5 is now in the shop in Reno. It has less than 50% of its normal range. The range of my SR is still as good as it was when new.

I told the shop  they can take their time with my DS  as I have enough bikes to ride without it.  I mainly only need the DS for my RV trips but I won't be going on another RV trip for many months.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
2017 Blk/Gold HD Road Glide Ultra
2017 Org Zero DS ZF 6.5/(now is 7.2)
2017 Red Zero SR ZF13 w/ Pwr Tank
2020 Energica EVA SS9
2023 Energica Experia LE
2023 Zero DSR/X

SkyYeti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 12:47:49 AM »

Significant issue with my SR/F - needs a new SpiderBus after only 600miles (1000km) of riding
See https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9668.30

I won't vote yet until I've seen how Zero deal with the replacement. They've told me it'll be a 21 day turnaround. So that's 21 days where I'm paying off finance for a brand new bike that I can't ride :(
Was told on Monday morning that the UK country manager would be calling me that very day to discuss the issue with me. It's now Wednesday evening and I haven't received a call.
So far Zero support is ranking low for me..
2022 Zero SR/F Premium

Tom_Ruyter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 12:48:45 AM »

Had a Blown Fuse when i picked it up, but easiy replaced for 50p, by myself.

Main issue is with the SR/F's iPhone app that doesn't work in 12 hour clock mode (in the UK) on the scheduled charging screen, and doesn't update the bike properly. Flip the phone to 24 hour mode and everything works as expected. Have emailed Zero's support twice, and was hoping for a fix when the new version with SR/S support dropped, but no.

Had the Frunk lid replaced as part of the recall, but i didn't think that was an issue myself.

Had the rear brake disc bolts tightened under another bit of warrenty work, but nothing really serious to report with it.

Took five attempts to get firmware 14 onto it, but moving the bike to the front of the garage made a better signal and it took after that.

Not as smooth, but i realise i own an experimental (for technology and industry) niche product here. the quirks are part of the fun and i've heard of worse stories from people who own big brand makes.

valnar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 01:40:53 AM »

Not as smooth, but i realise i own an experimental (for technology and industry) niche product here. the quirks are part of the fun and i've heard of worse stories from people who own big brand makes.

Maybe the SR/F is experimental, but I would hope that Zero had all the bugs worked out of the basics.  I guess I'm more interested in models with some time behind them, like the FX and S/DS. I myself bought a new 2020 Zero FXS and I can't think there should be any known bugs left on that model seeing how it's unchanged for years.  Time will tell.  If there are any design issues on my FXS I'll be a bit upset.
Zero FXS 2020

Crissa

• Centauress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 02:01:31 AM »

A firmware issue bricked my S, but they got a new MBB on their dime in three weeks.

Even for a five year old bike!  That's dang good service if you ask me.

-Crissa
2014 Zero S ZF8.5

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 03:24:54 AM »

I've had two issues but they've worked themselves out on their own. The first was "Sevcon cap low voltage" which I thought would mean a bad capacitor on the controller and a warranty replacement but that error disappeared and hasn't come back for I think two months now. The second was low chassis isolation on a couple of the battery cells, no idea what caused it but they went back to normal after a few days and that error also hasn't showed up since.

Other than that I also haven't been able to update the firmware but I'm not sure if that's a fault of the bike or the app. I think the app has been updated since I last tried so I'll have to try it again.

KuRi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 03:48:19 AM »

I read other user issues before voting... then I decided. My vote is for zero issues with zero.

Yes, I have a small vibration here, a small noise there, but the bike runs smooth with no working problems so far (almost 2000kms on my dsr 2020), and I wish it continues this way.

I expect that Zero brings some of the SR/F features to the DSR Platform... the price is almost the same but we have a basic dashboard, basic lights, no traction control, less power... That's my main complain with the DSR. I tried the SR/F but I like the trail style of the dsr more :)
ZERO DSR 2020 - TOURING SEAT - TREKKER 52

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 05:11:32 AM »

My old 2014 S with PT that my daughter currently rides has had only one problem. The original on-board charger failed and was replaced by myself and my son-in-law. The part cost $800.  I should add that the bike has never had a firmware "update" since it left the factory.

My 2018 S with PT has been very reliable.  Its single (sort of) "problem" has been that the green charging light will not go out when the charger's power plug is pulled unless you turn the ignition switch on and then off again, or pull the plug within 10 minutes of the charger powering down.   ???

The only bike that has been to back to the dealer for servicing is my 2018 model when it had its 600-mile service and "motor commissioning".
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 09:13:32 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Hans2183

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 03:22:47 PM »

Significant issue with my SR/F - needs a new SpiderBus after only 600miles (1000km) of riding
See https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9668.30

I won't vote yet until I've seen how Zero deal with the replacement.

I had that exact same issue, only occurs when riding in the rain. They transported my bike to Zero HQ EU in the Netherlands (I live in Belgium) and replaced it in around 45 days or 1,5 months. That was around 6.500 km.

However since it's back, the 3rd ride already the CEL turned on during a wet ride again. Only difference is that so far it hasn't stopped me from riding or charing. Until now it's popping up and leaving me stranded again not willing to run. Have around 8.500 km now.

Check my post history for the full story.  This is the full story, it popped up again I just noticed. I'll update there also => https://www.electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=9668.0
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:41:39 PM by Hans2183 »
2021 Energica SS9+ 21.5kWh
--- Belgium ---

petewarm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 09:17:36 PM »

Just like Hans2183 only a bit worse:

My bikes still in NL, they gave me a loaner ( I'm in the UK) They said it was water ingress, OK yes i ride in the rain.  They plan to replace some bits.

I've been out three times on the loaner. Second two times it cut out on me: first in the middle of an overtake, second after filtering through to the front of the traffic lights.  Do I feel a fool? 

To be fair Zero UK agent ( Dale) organised a small discount off on the charge tank that I wanted, but I must admit I've taken out motorcycle recovery insurance.

Thanks for putting up Poll. Seems I am in the distinctly unlucky slot.

pete

2019 SR/F premium blue - weeeeee! - now with rapid charge :-)
5 years no driving with defibrillator
2002 Honda VFR 750
15 years raise a family
1970 Triumph 350 speed twin school commute

didierm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 03:06:01 AM »

SR/F MY2020 , 800 km : 12V battery is dead (dropped from 13 to < 5V in approx. 24 hours).

According to dealer, spare part (to be outbound from Zero Netherlands EU HQ) should be available, but I am already waiting for more than a week.

(I have no issues with failing parts - can happen - , but service needs to be up to par to the > 20 k€ one is paying for the bike)

Previously owned DSR MY2017 : no issues I can think of.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2020, 06:57:46 AM »

I have owned 4 Zeros, still own 3 of them.
Any issues that I have had were all covered under warranty.
My 2013 FX(s) is still a joy to ride with no issues.
My 2014 S has had MAJOR upgrades, with the only issue being smapping
belts if I try off throttle on throttle wheelies. Other than that, all is well
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8