• April 29, 2024, 01:22:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First trail ride on modified FX  (Read 445 times)

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
First trail ride on modified FX
« on: March 04, 2020, 01:04:14 AM »

Here are the mods I made to my 2017 FX to make it more off-road capable and a few comments:

removed the mirrors
replaced the stock turn signals and associated brackets with small LED turn signals
replaced stock flasher with LED compatible CF14 EP35
replaced the headlight and brackets with a generic headlight
replaced the tail light with a smaller, more compact LED light
replaced the rear brake pedal/master cylinder with left handlebar master cylinder/lever
removed the ABS unit and stock brake lines
removed the passenger pegs and brackets
replaced the belt drive and pulleys with chain kit
moved the dash to behind the handlebar
replaced the stock tires with knobbies
modified the inner fender to be a chain guard only
added stainless steel braided lines
added an inner fender/mud flap
added flag type barkbusters
added rim locks and seal savers

I initially tried using the stock inner fender but it was so close to the knobby that in wet conditions, it just peeled the mud off the tire and piled it up around the shock.  The new inner fender/mudflap is just a truck mudflap trimmed to fit.

The replacement brake lines made a noticeably good difference in feel and response -  both brakes are very good now.  The rear brake lever was too far from the handlebar until I adapted an adjustable lever to work with it.  Replaced both brake pads shortly after I got the bike.

Re-routing the front brake line, moving the dash, shortening the stock front brake lever, adding the adjustable rear brake lever, and removing the stock turn signals has made the bike OK for bush-whacking.

Chain kit installation was similar to others experience – had to warm up the retaining screw on the motor shaft to remove the front pulley.  I ordered the torx type screw from the later models for the next time I remove the front sprocket.  I couldn’t get the chain slider for the swing arm stay where it should be.  The chain doesn’t slide over the raised guide but rather to the outside (left) of it.  Something more than the clamp provided is needed to secure for proper alignment.

The chain kit changes the final drive ratio so the speed and odometer are now incorrect.  The sprocket sizes are a parameter that allegedly could be changed in the MBB if Zero would let owners have the password to do so.  My dealer told me when some adjustment needs to made to the MBB, Zero logs in remotely to his computer and enters the password so he never knows what it is.  Zero CS confirmed this procedure on the phone.  Zero could have a tiered acces structure that allowed dealers and knowledgeable owners to modify some parameters.  (Been through this MBB PW thing elsewhere on the forum.)  This isn’t much of an issue for off-road use, but for on-road it would be nice to have it correct.

The kickstand hangs out there like the old KDXs – haven’t come up with anything to replace it yet.

The replacement headlight is an inexpensive after market part.  I had to cut a couple of inches form each side for the handlebars to go lock to lock without hitting the fairing.  I wired the headlight high beam to the FX high beam wiring so when the switch is on low beam, only the tail light is on.

The FX fairing is very narrow compared to other bikes with radiators.  I guess it was a Zero design choice to even have them.  A smoother, rounded profile or something that deflects brush and saplings rather than traps them would be better for bush whacking.

The frame and seat width are such that when standing on the bike it feels a little awkward.  The Zero is about 2 inches wider than my 350 EXC-F.  On a ride with a lot of standing up, it might be an issue for the inside of my legs.

A grab handle behind the seat like most dirt bikes come with today would be nice.   Maybe Ill try adapting a Tugger.  When you drop the bike, it is a chore to pick it up.

The bike weighs 289 pounds according to a friends good hoist scale.  The owners manual says stock weight is 289 pounds.  The parts I removed weigh 16 pounds.  I was hoping to reduce the weight some over stock but it appears the weight of the chain and knobby tires added back what I removed and maybe more.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
Re: First trail ride on modified FX
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 01:05:28 AM »

Photos:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:09:33 AM by stargazerinwg »

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 01:10:34 AM »

Couple more:

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 01:12:12 AM »

Video snippets of ride:

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 01:39:02 AM »

I see you have balanced both wheels.  Does this model come with rim locks?  Looks like two rim locks would make it need less weights.

You probably know the first and last 30 seconds are woods road not trail.

stargazerinwg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 01:49:50 AM »

Does not come with rim locks.  I should have used 2 each wheel like on my 350 - something I will change soon.

Roger that on woods road versus trail.
Pages: [1]