• May 19, 2024, 02:03:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger  (Read 29589 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Questions on FastCharging / DigiNow Supercharger
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »

A total of 13.2kW yes, that should be enough to silence the hunger for more power until the bikes rear end gets reworked and +1C charging is available and tested. Then I might even up the ante to 20-ish kW.

That sounds good!  I was charging at 11kW regularly on my trip this summer and it was great!
I commute once a week but it is 250-350km depending on the location so the faster the better. And of course there will be a nice summer trip with the bike this year.

Alright, finally breaking my lurking for 7+ months! I have my 3.3kW charger being delivered today. I'm guessing all of the installation instructions will be included with the charger itself and am ready to mount it ASAP. But, for those of us who got over eager back in June/July and ordered a power tank cover for it (not the charge tank plastics, they weren't available yet), are there instructions on how to install with that?

I know it's destructive and it requires drilling through the plastic, but that's fine. Brian, I believe you had instructions on the mounting of the J-plug from the v1 charger. Are you able to share those original plans just for mounting the J-plug? I would really appreciate it.
Welcome! If you can pretty much spam this thread with photo's and video's of all the goodies it will make a lot of people here happy. Brian had a build log in one of the other threads iirc...

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2017, 10:28:48 PM »

Welcome! If you can pretty much spam this thread with photo's and video's of all the goodies it will make a lot of people here happy. Brian had a build log in one of the other threads iirc...

I'll try my best. I hope I'll have the time to install it tonight. If not, this weekend for sure.

And I remember him posting pictures of it done, but I don't recall any specific instructions. I'll poke around the forums again and see if I can gain any more info on that mounting.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2017, 04:50:48 AM »

I know it's destructive and it requires drilling through the plastic, but that's fine. Brian, I believe you had instructions on the mounting of the J-plug from the v1 charger. Are you able to share those original plans just for mounting the J-plug? I would really appreciate it.

DON'T DO ANYTHING TO THE CHARGE TANK!!!!!

You don't need to modify the charge tank at all to install the charger.  All you need to do is cut some plastic off the J-Plug port that comes with the charger then it installs in the charge tank just like stock.  I can post some pictures in a couple hours.
2014 Zero S

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2017, 04:58:57 AM »

You don't need to modify the charge tank at all to install the charger.  All you need to do is cut some plastic off the J-Plug port that comes with the charger then it installs in the charge tank just like stock.  I can post some pictures in a couple hours.

Unfortunately I only have the power tank plastics, not the charge tank. So I don't have that luxury. This was ordered back in around June, before the charge tank plastics were even available. I was getting ready for the charger and I got frustrated at my tank bag flopping around when I was riding, so I kind of jumped the gun on this one.

Chances are I'll eventually get the charge tank plastics, but for now this is all I have.

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2017, 05:00:46 AM »

Unfortunately I only have the power tank plastics, not the charge tank. So I don't have that luxury. This was ordered back in around June, before the charge tank plastics were even available. I was getting ready for the charger and I got frustrated at my tank bag flopping around when I was riding, so I kind of jumped the gun on this one.

Chances are I'll eventually get the charge tank plastics, but for now this is all I have.

Ahh...I misread....I thought you said you had charge tank plastic.
2014 Zero S

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2017, 05:25:38 AM »

I have nothing but storage on my SR tank. Which option is easiest / cleanest? I need to order my plastics but haven't decided, and my charger should be here any day.
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2017, 05:55:12 AM »

Ahh...I misread....I thought you said you had charge tank plastic.

No worries, I kind of worded my post weird, so it was easy to miss.

But please do submit those pictures when you have a chance! I'm sure many other members will appreciate them. Also I'd like to see them for the future when I finally do get the charge tank plastic.

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2017, 06:10:25 AM »

Charge Tank plastic is definitely the way to go for anyone that hasn't already purchased Power Tank plastic.  No modification required to the charge tank plastic.  Minor modification to the J-plug that came with the DigiNow and then it fit perfectly.

2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2017, 06:18:10 AM »

Here are some pics of the modified plug.

2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2017, 06:19:23 AM »

One more of the plug going into the Charge Tank and one of the part that was cut off the plug.

2014 Zero S

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2017, 07:44:39 AM »

Great pics, thanks for the posting(s)!
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »

Does your battery pack glow?

Also, did you not tie your J1772 connection in your tank into your onboard charger? I could see doing that once the in tank charger is upgraded to 6.6kW.
2023 Energica Experia
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)

Chicamungo

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2017, 08:20:11 AM »

That's definitely good looking mrwilsn! Kind of bummed I got the power tank plastics so early so it won't be as nice looking. But something to look forward to later.

On another note, I do have my charger now, I was able to figure out how everything connects up (for the most part) but I have no idea how to use the mounting bracket. Are there instructions available? None were included in my box.

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »

Does your battery pack glow?

Also, did you not tie your J1772 connection in your tank into your onboard charger? I could see doing that once the in tank charger is upgraded to 6.6kW.
I currently have the SCv1 on my bike.  I will be installing the SCv2 next week.  The SCv1 can pull 10kW all by it's lonesome so if I connected to a 6.6kW J-plug I was maxing that baby out.  Thus the J-plug to 3-way adaptor that allows use of the onboard in addition to the SCv1 if 2 J-plugs are available.

Here is the 3-way adaptor available from DigiNow (I bought the 1ft C13 to NEMA 5-15 cord seperately).  Note that when you use the J-plug to 3-way adaptor the three plugs will be at 240V (or as low as 208V depending on the charging station) so you will want to make sure anything you plug in can handle the higher voltage.  Most stuff will say it can take 100-240V but every once in a while (in the USA) you will find something that is only rated for 120V.

Here is a screen shot of me charging at 10kW.

The SCv2 allows a lot more flexibility for installation options.  With a single 3.3kW SCv2 there is still room to connect the 1.3kW onboard for 4.6kW total (a great configuration for an FX or FXS).

If you have two SCv2 modules (6.6kW total) then you will want to connect the SCv2 modules to one J-plug.  To use the onboard you will need a second J-plug and an adaptor like the J-plug to 3-way adaptor.

If you have three SCv2 modules (9.9kW total) then you will use two J-plugs and can charge at 11.2kW with the onboard.  In this configuration one J-plug is going to an SCv2 module and the onboard and the second J-plug has the other 2 SCv2 modules.

Adding a 4th SCv2 module means 2 J-plugs for a total of 13.2kW and if you also want to use the onboard for 14.5kW total then you need a third J-plug.  Theoretically you can keep adding modules as long as you have enough J-plugs to charge from.

That's all for the USA.  If you are in an area that uses mennkes then a single mennkes can use 3 SCv2 modules or 2 SCv2 modules and the onboard from a single mennkes plug.

Of course, DigiNow will include all the harnesses to connect everything per the configuration ordered so you don't need to figure out how to hook what wire up to what.

As for the battery glow...it's a vinyl wrap.  The color changes based on lighting conditions.  With a camera flash (or headlights) it really lights up  ;D

This is in dark lighting.

Notice that in this picture the tank bag piping isn't reflecting but the battery is still turquoise...that's just by getting the right angle for the garage light to reflect back to the camera.  When you walk past it in sun light it will transition from dark green to turquoise.  I like it a lot  8)

And here is outdoor lighting....while using the J-plug to 3-way adaptor to charge using the onboard while charing a GoPro at the same time.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:16:53 AM by mrwilsn »
2014 Zero S

wijnand71

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »

That's all for the USA.  If you are in an area that uses mennkes then a single mennkes has 3 phases available so you can use 3 SCv2 modules or 2 SCv2 modules and the onboard from a single mennkes plug.  From 2 mennkes you could use 6 SCv2 modules for 19.8kW of charging!!

Great, Really! Now this fast charging is really going. Love all the pics. I'm in Europe so the mennkes solution is the one for me. Practical speaking, how many chargers wil physically fit in the tank area? Can I fit 2x 6.6kW and use the onboard, or should I stick with the (I guess) smaller 3.3kW and use these 2 together with the onboard?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:51:21 PM by wijnand71 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21