• April 27, 2024, 04:59:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New wave of 'inexpensive' Electric Motorcycles  (Read 2875 times)

AsHperson

• View Profile
New wave of 'inexpensive' Electric Motorcycles
« on: October 29, 2022, 10:35:12 AM »

Looking at the industry as a whole, there seems to be a rejuvenated focus on getting new riders on electric motorcycles. This seems to be stage 3 of the evolution of the industry. First would be where you have high priced products with pretty ok specs(see Zero S or Energica EGO 13KWh). Second would be a much upgraded, new generation expensive motorcycles(see Zero SR/S or Energica EsseEsse 9+ 21.5KWh). Now these companies like Energica and Livewire are currently stuck with $15k+ models. Nearly all new riders may have a budget of UP TO 8 or 10k to spend on a new or used motorcycle. My first bike was a discounted previous year Yamaha FZ-07 for about $6000 plus tax financed. I'm glad I was able to get the deal to have a bigger budget for safety gear(ATGATT!).

There are a lot of new contenders going for a cheaper electric motorcycle that is surprisingly capable from a brand that has shipped products(see Sondors Metacycle, Kollter motorcycles, CSC RX1E). These bikes hit more mileage at a lower price vs the Zero FXS with nearly the same performance it seems.

What does everyone think about the newer entrants vs the older ones? Do the newer ones feel the need to be more price competitive vs Zero or the other way around with Zero's long-standing experience in the industry? What do you see the possible reliability in these models compared, might they be about the same with a somewhat similar parts budget?

I could have expanded this more but was looking to make it and easy read without extra possibly unnecessary context.
Upcoming:
2023 Energica Experia LE
Current:
2020 Energica SS9
2013 Honda CB1100
Previous:
2020 Zero SR/S[LL]
1988 Honda Hawk GT[SOLD]
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS[LL]
2015 Yamaha FZ-07[TOTALED]

MVetter

• View Profile
Re: New wave of 'inexpensive' Electric Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 12:07:17 PM »

oh good a discussion about mopeds vs motorcycles

Ashveratu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 06:48:53 PM »

Number one on my list of new comers is https://ryvid.com/ I like the design and think they have great potential if they start delivering what they are advertising.

Number two is https://landmoto.io/ They are on my radar mostly because they are based in Cleveland Ohio and I born nearby in Elyria Ohio, plus their look and design is interesting to say the least.

Sondors sadly dropped the ball. What they are delivering is falling short of what they were promising. If it meets your needs though, it is still a sharp looking bike.
2022 Energica Esseesse 9 RS Bormio Ice
2018 Tesla Model 3 Metallic Red wrap (Black) LR AWD

2020 Harley Livewire Fusion Yellow (traded in)
2014 Brammo Empulse in Yellow (Sold)
2013 Zero S 11.4 - Black (returned to Zero)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 07:35:25 PM »

As I see it the problem for the "new contenders" are that they don't have an established physical sales, distribution, servicing, repair, or parts network. Until they do, sales of their vehicles will be very limited and in some states it will be difficult to license them at the DMV. It is one thing to design an electric motorcycle and something else entirely to mass produce it to a confused public in enough volume and at a low enough price to generate enough sales to keep the company in business for any length of time. And that goes double in the current downward economy, with rising financing interest rates.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Fran K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 09:48:12 PM »

The newer entrants that come to mind would be ubco, and Volcan which along with the ktm freeride are actually available with a physical shop.  The Livewire del mar may be available now.  Some Storm bee from sur ron is coming soon. Maybe dot maybe not.   For someone that bought a new left over without a bunch of fees, is going and put a deposit and wait for something that no parts sheet or even dealer network exists to be expected?   When they get their 17 character serial nuimber code all submitted then let's evaluate further.
Pages: [1]